Need help diagnosing pistol aiming/shooting problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have u used a bench rest? take the wrist (shooter) out of the equation and use a stationary bench rest. I use a bench rest for all new handguns to see where they are shooting. i really have not had one 'off' yet according to a bench rest test BUT when I shoot different pistols I can get diff results due to grip, sights, recoil, compact vs. tatical, etc.

6 o'clock is usually a wrist problem. u are anticipating recoil and breaking/dropping the wrist to compensate for the upward recoil of the shot.

specialop24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a little of all. I would suggest having him dry fire it once or twice to see his mechanics. Could be a trigger jerk, or recoil anticipation. Either sounds like it could be a culprit. After that I would check his sight alignment. Just my thoughts.

skatalite

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the pointers. I shared this with my friend. He's gonna have his uncle go shooting with him this weekend to see how things are. He lives in Texas, so Oklahoma shooting classes are out of the question, haha. But thanks for the idea! I told him to check with a range official on any possible classes they might have.

I also linked him to this YouTube video. Did me well when learning how to shoot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl9_c

He's told me all his shots are in the 6 o'clock area, so he's going to try to hold it properly and see how it goes from there.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like all that's mentioned... Look through the rear sight at the front sight. Have someone set a magazine on the rear sight. If he drops his head to look through the rear sight at the front sight its an aiming problem. Have him start the trigger press by first taking the slack out. When the trigger gets harder keep increasing pressure while continuing to aim the gun. Do this very slowly. Eventually the shot will break. Who ever is shooting with him should watch the gun. If he dips the gun at the moment of detonation he's anticipating recoil. Dry fire will help, but usually it's a mental thing. When live rounds are loaded it may start again.
Professional training is the best! Hope this helps

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like he is trying to compensate for recoil and forcing the muzzle down.

I didnt read everyone's post, so dont flame me if I am repeating.

I good test would be to go to the range with him. If you have snap caps (or if you reload make some rounds without primers or powder). Load his mag for him and hide a snap cap/inert round somewhere in the stack. DONT TELL HIM THERE IS A DUD IN THERE. Have him shoot as he normally would. Watch the muzzle of his gun. When he gets to the dud, most likely there will be an overexaggerated muzzle drop. This will verify he is trying to compensate for recoil.

If that is not the issue, it could also be sight picture. He is either not lining up the front site correctly with the back, or he is focusing on someplace other than the front site.

In my opinion, no matter what gun, inaccuracy is in the shooter not the firearm. Lot of bad habits and practices out there, from sight picture, reaction, to grip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom