Need help with import mark

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thats what I figured. I've never seen a Chinese import without this. It's got to be there somewhere. I'm starting to wonder if he knows the importer, but is just 'playing dumb' since he knows I know what I'm looking at.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What difference does it make if it has an import mark on it? Odds are about 99%+ that it does. Doesn't detract from the average price. Sometimes they can be pretty gaudy, but on a Chinese SKS, it makes no real difference.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The import mark will tell me who handled it on THIS side of the pond.

some versions of this shotgun are known to have problems. Some are know to be very good versions and useable for competition.

If this is a Norinco, I'll probably buy it. If it's an IAC, I will pass.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At my age, my mind begins to wander quite often. I got hung up on SKS's. Sorry for the confusion.

Now, I'll try to get myself in trouble again. I believe both the Norinco and IAC (and the Italian one that's on the market, maybe) are made in the same factory. Back before the Chinese got in Dutch with the U.S., Norinco shipped them over here with their name stamped on them. I believe they quit importing them in the 90's. However, IAC picked up the slack.

Once again, I'm probably wrong, but I don't think the Norincos had "Old West" on them. I've seen Norincos with "NORINCO" on them.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking too - which leads me to believe that this is an IAC. I've never shot one of these repops. I have two original 97's one functions very well and is a natural shooter, the other is not currently functional so I was looking to add another to the gun cart as a backup. These imports concern me though. I have an IAC 87 lever action shotgun that took a rediculous amount of work to make functional (it wouldn't eject shells) and don't want to be right back there with this.

I guess I will stick to the real deal.

okla1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What difference does it make if it has an import mark on it? Odds are about 99%+ that it does. Doesn't detract from the average price. Sometimes they can be pretty gaudy, but on a Chinese SKS, it makes no real difference.

Depends, as former Makarov collector I ONLY wanted the small marks as I felt they were already a disgusting offense to the piece of history I was trying to add to my collection.

Alright, well mystery solved.

He sent me a photo of the barrel - with TTN stamped on it. That's the importer and it's junk.

Glad we could help out!

Cheers,

Okla1911

Latest posts

Top Bottom