Need Home stereo help 5.1 sucks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been 7.1 ready and waiting for quite awhile now, just had to wait on encoding. Just went to a new JVC projector and screen in my media room and don't know how I ever lived without it. My man cave system has 7.1 too but my bedroom system is old skool 5.1 with the sub turned off- the wife is not a bass lover.

on the road...tapatalkn

Last edited:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No reason to do 5.1 in a vehicle. Unless you're planning on using it to watch movies - and why would anyone want to sit in the their car to watch a movie?
Alot of EDM is mixed now for extreme multi channel so some Bassnectar fans may want to experience 5.1 or 7.1 in they rides, lolllll. I listen to it and like you I do my own custom builds in my vehicles. I have been considering playing with the idea in my Tahoe.

on the road...tapatalkn

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I suppose that's one use for it. I should say, I was expressing my opinion, I think going to the trouble to do 5.1 in a car is a point of diminishing returns. But to each their own...

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TR youre correct in that it would be too much trouble for most people and not worth it outside of listening to EDM, errr, electronic music. Same as with concert sound. Bose has been working on surround sound for concert shows but in most situations its just not applicable. I worked for Peavey as a sound sales rep selling large systems to venues, churchs,etc on the side when I was not playing shows in the 90s and wondered back then if it would work. Transiberian Orchestra is a totally different type of band and show and they use surround sound and it works out great since they have alot of stuff sampled along with the live instruments. I was able to spend some time at THX's headquarters/tweak center in Modesto CA about 15 years ago and they were doing some awesome stuff back then that is just now in use- the Warren theater in BA is where I go and they use THX's latest gear there.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually what I was going towards was the ability to watch a movie in the car. With a backseat that big you can kick back and relax in the middle of nowhere with a wife or girlfriend and have your own drive in movie experience sans the drive in.

Plus the 57 came with a single speaker in the middle of the dash so why not utilize it for something? I am sure there would be a way to pipe both left and right channels through it but if you can come across a receiver with built in 5.1 it should be able to take most audio sources and process for the setup and put most of the voice through the "center" speaker.

I don't know what kind of music the OP listens to but more than just edm is recorded in 5.1 http://blog.bowers-wilkins.com/music/top-10-surround-sound-recordings/ I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it can be found remastered for 5.1 especially with a lot of audiophile's out there.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can watch movies on the dbl DIN screen in my Supra- but the parking brake has to be engaged first so its not possible to watch them while moving. In my SUV same with the dbl DIN screen in it plus I can hear the DVD player in the back seat of it but since it is located behind the passenger headrest I cant see it only listen to it. I take my laptop with me and have a 12v charger for it but I wouldnt watch movies or surf the net while driving. Or would I?

Latest posts

Top Bottom