Let's help HoLeChit pick out a surround sound setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited. Just have to pay off the tv and fridge, and then it's off to audio heaven! I'm considering getting some old school towers to hook up in the office as a 2.1 setup or something, that should be fun. I'll probably build my own sub then too.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of more comments... :)

Looks like there is a good center channel speaker in the list you have. The center channel is key in a surround sound system, so don't scrimp on it.

Another key item that is overlooked is an all in one remote. These systems have a lot of settings, and components. It made my life immeasurably better not getting calls from the boss asking how to watch a movie, or this, or that. The remote I use has a screen, and a "button" that says "watch tv"(or "watch movie", or "apple tv", or "listen to music", etc). Once that button is pressed everything for that function comes to life on the right settings. I've used Logitech remotes, and have had good results, others may chime in with their preference.

Last the AVR's in 5.1 mode will typically have a another amp you can use for a set of 2.0 patio speakers, it is nice to have music while you are outside on the patio or deck.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of more comments... :)

Looks like there is a good center channel speaker in the list you have. The center channel is key in a surround sound system, so don't scrimp on it.

Another key item that is overlooked is an all in one remote. These systems have a lot of settings, and components. It made my life immeasurably better not getting calls from the boss asking how to watch a movie, or this, or that. The remote I use has a screen, and a "button" that says "watch tv"(or "watch movie", or "apple tv", or "listen to music", etc). Once that button is pressed everything for that function comes to life on the right settings. I've used Logitech remotes, and have had good results, others may chime in with their preference.

Last the AVR's in 5.1 mode will typically have a another amp you can use for a set of 2.0 patio speakers, it is nice to have music while you are outside on the patio or deck.

Absolutely, having some patio speakers is certainly in the works. My home theater component setup is rather simple at the moment, I use a media server, and can be accessed through my smart tv or my PlayStation. Otherwise, the PlayStation works for blu ray and dvds, I intend on adding an Apple TV and a sonos reciever as well. Everything should be run on 3 remotes and a smartphone, I will probably play around and see how it goes before I purchase a universal remote.

Now I have a bit of a conundrum.... after looking at reviews and such, the klipsch subwoofer I was looking at have been rather lackluster and such. The 12" and 10 klipsch subs I have heard are downright disappointing in my opinion. I am considering a Martin Logan dynamo 1000w 12" or a 1500w 15". They can both be found within my price point for a sub, or I was considering getting 2 of their 10" subs.... input? Reviews?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely, having some patio speakers is certainly in the works. My home theater component setup is rather simple at the moment, I use a media server, and can be accessed through my smart tv or my PlayStation. Otherwise, the PlayStation works for blu ray and dvds, I intend on adding an Apple TV and a sonos reciever as well. Everything should be run on 3 remotes and a smartphone, I will probably play around and see how it goes before I purchase a universal remote.

Now I have a bit of a conundrum.... after looking at reviews and such, the klipsch subwoofer I was looking at have been rather lackluster and such. The 12" and 10 klipsch subs I have heard are downright disappointing in my opinion. I am considering a Martin Logan dynamo 1000w 12" or a 1500w 15". They can both be found within my price point for a sub, or I was considering getting 2 of their 10" subs.... input? Reviews?

Yea, 3 remotes in my house is a non-starter, needs to be easy and simple. Hell there are times when I can't figure out what needs to happen so the smart remote is worth it to me. Attach it to your PC via USB, set all of the activities, update the remote, and forget it, single button on, single button off, easy controls of all of the components.

For me I would be more inclined to do 2 10's, but I tend to like to listen to music, LOUD. Bass will resonate, the second 10 would give some nice added sound from the very back of the room though. My sub placement isn't optimal as the boss drives form over function. So the 10" sub is on the wall behind the TV in the corner. Still get great sound out of it, but it could be much better. As it is it gives great depth for movies.

Because of the Boss's requirements I went with in the ceiling speakers for the surrounds(7.1), they work great, and really perk people up when you get an interesting movie sound coming from somewhere unexpected. My fronts are bookshelf Polks, not great, this is one area I would like to improve, but again the Boss has restrictions...

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm I'll have to look into the remote. I just remember the old ones that were more trouble than they were worth.

I'm really tempted to do in wall surrounds, as I don't want to hang surrounds on the wall at ear level, just doesn't work well for the look I want.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bose and it is unreal. I have always been an audiophile too. Had a $10k+ system when I was in high school. I have always liked Bose. It doesn't cost that much and delivers extremely good sound.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't build your sub with car audio parts. Just don't. Most car audio components are optimized to be loud as frig, not reproduce good sound quality. They've made all kinds of necessary trade-offs to do that (especially in amplifiers). And absolutely don't design the box like a sub box for a car.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever you do, don't build your sub with car audio parts. Just don't. Most car audio components are optimized to be loud as frig, not reproduce good sound quality. They've made all kinds of necessary trade-offs to do that (especially in amplifiers). And absolutely don't design the box like a sub box for a car.

Actually, there are tons of "car audio" subs with excellent sound quality. You are completely misinformed, sir.

Latest posts

Top Bottom