Let's help HoLeChit pick out a surround sound setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
With these home build subs, I imagine you would use a car stereo amp to power them? I really like the idea, my only concern is supplying safe power to the sub. I will probably go with what I have in my truck, brand wise; and get a sundown audio subwoofer. Such excursion and power handling, and they are beautifully built. Kinda looking at something like this:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No you don't have to have a car amp for them. In fact, it can be tough to get a power supply large enough to run a big 12V amp, and that's an added cost and link in the system. Lots of plate amps out there or outboard amplifiers in all power ranges to run any of those subs. Just to have to match the impedance-to-power ratio. Plenty of home amps will run down to 4 ohms, I am sure some dedicated sub amps will go down to 2 ohms. It's just not as typical in the home world to run the low impedance we often use in car audio.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So with some browsing around, I think I have decided to go the premise sub route. The klipsch 15" 800w should do pretty well for what I want, and if not, I can always get money together later and build one.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll add a couple of comments.

I've had great results from Denon, and Yamaha AVR's. Don't overlook tech features like bluetooth, and wifi, they are really handy.

Some of the old names from Audio exist as different entities today. Just because they were the gold standard back in the day does not make them the same today. In some cases it is just the name that remains. So as mentioned listen to systems where you can. But also realize most places where you can listen are staged, and won't be exactly like your setup.

Also determine what you want sound wise. Massive explosions for movies will come from larger subs, but they may not be as responsive musically. I settled on a 10" based on our room size, and the mix of what we do.

Register and hang out on avforums.com, lots, and lots of good info there.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll add a couple of comments.

I've had great results from Denon, and Yamaha AVR's. Don't overlook tech features like bluetooth, and wifi, they are really handy.

Some of the old names from Audio exist as different entities today. Just because they were the gold standard back in the day does not make them the same today. In some cases it is just the name that remains. So as mentioned listen to systems where you can. But also realize most places where you can listen are staged, and won't be exactly like your setup.

Also determine what you want sound wise. Massive explosions for movies will come from larger subs, but they may not be as responsive musically. I settled on a 10" based on our room size, and the mix of what we do.

Register and hang out on avforums.com, lots, and lots of good info there.

More good stuff, I'm primarily looking at denon and Yamaha receivers at the moment. Have any suggestions as to where to listen to systems whether it be in okc or Tulsa? The old lady loves to go to Tulsa and see friends, so the trip could be arranged if there's decent listening rooms up there. The Best Buy near me doesn't have a listening room, so otherwise I'm a bit lost as to where to go.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the setup I'm looking at for the time being. Any input or suggestions? Would the reciever be sufficient?

https://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/1CIP4W1IOAE6S/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awwl_xs_EnPAyb13JN4VQ

Dang, that receiver just shows me I've been out of the game too long. I have to guess what half that stuff means! It has plenty of power and is rated honestly. Plus, it seems pretty "future proof"; lots of HDMI inputs and 4k pass through.

As far as listening rooms in Tulsa, they're aren't many options anymore. There's Video Revolution and Audio Advice (the only ones I've been inside). I don't believe AA carries Klipsch; not sure about VR. The Best Buy stores here tend to have the Magnolia HiFi "sub store", which carry pretty decent stuff, but again, I'm not sure they carry the Klipsch Reference series. BB does, or at least used to, carry a lower line Klipsch series with cheaper, grey drivers. Not nearly as good to my ears, but I'm sure they sold plenty.

I've heard/used to sell the sub you're looking at, and it's a dandy. Like Shoot Summ said, generally larger subs are great for big booming movies, but kinda suck at reproducing music. Inertia is a real thing, and once you get that big driver moving one direction, it doesn't want to stop. Hence, big subs have trouble reproducing fast bass lines. I tend to stick to 10" subs for that reason too. But, the 15" Klipsch Reference series did surprisingly well at playing music. MUCH tighter than I expected, but if you are move of a music than movie guy, look at their 12".

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: went to the magnolia store in the Best Buy up at quail springs, all they had was the cheap klipsch theater in a box setups. Honestly they weren't bad, but the sub was certainly lackluster. I'm excited to hear the higher end stuff like I previously mentioned.

For the most part, the setup will be for tv and movies. I look forward to listening to music on it, but I have have a long time pet project for a nice dedicated music setup in my office.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: went to the magnolia store in the Best Buy up at quail springs, all they had was the cheap klipsch theater in a box setups. Honestly they weren't bad, but the sub was certainly lackluster. I'm excited to hear the higher end stuff like I previously mentioned.

For the most part, the setup will be for tv and movies. I look forward to listening to music on it, but I have have a long time pet project for a nice dedicated music setup in my office.

Don't get a home theater in a box setup. Unless they've changed a lot in the last 10 years, they tend to use proprietary connections, with limited upgrade potential.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if you get the chance, I would certainly go to magnolia listening room at Best Buy and give their high roller room a listen. I really wish I had the money for a Bowers Wilkins setup. Absolutely amazing. There's these fancy martin Logan mesh speakers that are the most curious thing... They use electromagnetic induction to cause metal mesh to make sound, and they have a ridiculous subwoofer setup as well. The subwoofer was producing spl levels close to (according to my clothes moving dyno) to the 110db spl setup I had a few years back.

The sub:
http://www.martinlogan.com/balancedforce/specs.php

The speaker, I think.
http://www.martinlogan.com/electromotion/em-esl-x.php

Latest posts

Top Bottom