Need some advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sdane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
guys I am looking at getting my 9 year old daughter her first deer rifle. She is pretty small for her age. Just seeing what is the preferred caliber and if there are any extremely small framed rifles out there for her. She has a .22 cricket and that seems to be about the length she needs maybe slightly bigger would work. Thanks in advance!

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most rifle makers have a youth gun. I'd buy the brand you like in .243. If her arms are too short, you might have to replace the butt pad or even cut down the stock for her. But, .243 is pretty easy shooting for most kiddos her age.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find a NEF or Rossi single shot rifle in .243. Cut down the stock to fit and use the reduced recoil ammo out there or reload some low velocity rounds. At close range, it will work fine.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Like Dennis said, NEF is super short, both barrel and stock and is what my son started with. It's .300BLK and very little recoil, threaded for suppresser as well.

You're welcome to use, test fire, whatever if you want, lest me know.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the NEC idea and I think Ruger makes the RAR in compact.
Just be careful cutting down a stock to make sure it doesn't get shorter than the minimum overall length.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally hate hammer guns for beginners. My daughter is now 8 and I got her a Ruger American Ranch Compact in 223 but would have gotten it in a 300 blackout if I could have found one. They quit making the Ranch Compact so I had to get what I could get. It is an extremely short LOP and a 16" threaded barrel. She can work everything on the gun including dropping the rotary mag and loading it. Working the bolt and safety easily. I really dont want her shooting at deer with a 223 so Im also in the process of building her an AR in 300 Blackout. Adjustable stock makes it to where it can grow with her. A lot of good options out there but thats just how Im doing it. Not that its the best way.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Find a NEF or Rossi single shot rifle in .243. Cut down the stock to fit and use the reduced recoil ammo out there or reload some low velocity rounds. At close range, it will work fine.

My 8 year old granddaughter bagged her first buck today with a Rossi 243 single shot I bought her last Christmas. It also has a 22 and 20 gauge barrel. My grandson got his 2nd buck today with a Savage 243 youth model bolt action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I won one of the combo kits for youth at a QU banquet. .22 RF, .410, and a .45 Cal Muzzle loader. Probably need to sell it. Don't have any grandkids it will fit anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom