needing home defense tactical shotgun recommendations please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to some of the instructors from TDSA or USSA, there are better options than a shotgun for a home defense situation. A shotgun offers massive stopping power with the correct loads but is not what I would want to maneuver thru doorways etc going room to room.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another virtue to the shotgun is that they are relatively cheap when compared to other “long gun” choices. As well, with some SGs you can get a longer barrel and if need be you can take it bird hunting.

All the same, any weapon has limitations. Limitations are values assigned to the particular situation. If your defensive needs are in house with short narrow hallways and small lil’ rooms, any long gun may be too long. If you have need for a gun with significant knockdown power at short to medium ranges … such as defending a room/area while you call 911 … a shotgun is an inexpensive option that could work well for you.

okieshooter6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pawn shop Mossy 500s are cheap and extremely easy to customize for security work. Mavericks are about the same but seem to operate a little rough unless they have really been broken in. Most of them just need a proper cleaning. I have bobbed some Mossys back to 18 1/2 inches, and flat blacked the wood stocks. It makes a fairly good looking rig if the finish is pretty good to start with.

maxrdr

New to the site!
Reaction score
If I were going to rely on a shotgun for home defense, I would prefer a 20 over a 12 ga for close quarters work as you have less felt recoil. There are a lot of accessories out there to hang on it; but first you need to be able to control it. Short of that, I rely on a handgun with low power ammo for house work.