needing home defense tactical shotgun recommendations please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO I think the best home defense shotguns are old Mossberg 500s and Remington 870 (preferably a wingmaster). The old Mossbergs (pre 80s) are really nice. The have more metal parts in them than the new models, ie: metal safeties, dual slide rails, Springs to prevent the slide from bottoming out, high quality mag tube, etc... Plus after a good cleanup, the action will be slick as a snakeoil salesman! The old Remington Wingmasters (50s-mid70s) are just awesome! Probably the best feeling shotgun ever produced. They are just a quality weapon. If you see one at a pawnshop or for sale pick it up! Cut the barrel back to your preferred length and you got your self a might fine HD weapon. Plus with an old used shotty you won't have to baby the weapon or worry about damaging the finish.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned 2 Remington 870's a, Mossberg 500, a 590, and a Mossberg Maverick.
My favorite was the Mossberg 590 with the Mossberg Maverick coming in 2nd the only one I still have is the Maverick with wood furniture and a 6 round side saddle.

I really didn't care for the 870's cause I couldn't get them to run right. Both of the 870's I owned constantly locked up to the point where I would have to slam the buttstock on the ground to get the pump to cycle another round.

Its interesting to see that you put the Maverick in front of the 500 why is that?

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the 870 better mainly because the Mossberg rattles too much to me. Most sound like there is somethng loose inside. If I were trying to sneak through my house, I'd worry that the Mossy might clank at some unfortunate time. So basically fit and finish. I wouldn't hesitate to grab either if I needed one though.

I have a Maverick and the rattle doesnt really bother me (in a perfect world i wish it didnt though) so that aside does the additional price of the Remy justify buying it over the mossy 500?