Needing Some Metal Working Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am building a handrail (for interior use) using .5''sq tubing and some cast STEEL knuckles I bought from King Metals. The only knuckles they had close to the size I wanted said they fit over .47".

My problem stems from with the knuckles being cast they are not all perfect. Some of them I will be able to slide on the tubing with the appropriate amount of force, and maybe a little grease, but some I cannot even get started on the tubing.

I am looking for any advise to make this process any easier. I am considering a dremel tool to clean out the inside of the knuckles, or maybe heating them up with the torch first, however with them being cast steel, not iron, I'm not sure how that would work.

Any thoughts?

JxxxOxxxE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so there is a through hole? how about a 1/2 drill bit? Run it through the knuckle to clean up the inside....

I've had to do this to black pipe before when making some heavy duty 1/2" hinges for a project...

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since its square tubing the .5" drill bit probably won't work. You might take a short length of tubing back to where you bought the knuckles. Try some more knuckles and see if you can find some that fit better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom