new ar 6.8 or 6x45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what do you wanna do with it? I shoot a 6.8SPC bc i wanted a nice 0-300yd gun that hits hard and can punch through cover. 6x45 is a differant beast for a differant purpose.

Strawdog

specter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i want to hunt deer with it. 5.56 just seems a little small. the 6x45 uses the sme 5.56 case necked up to 6mm. so that has a good benifit, easy to get brass. but now i keep reading about the 6.8spc, and it is available off the shelf. but i do intend to handload all my ammo. on the other hand the 6.5 grendel seems good, but the brass could be a problem

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your looking at a deer gun and not reloading id go with 6.8SPC. Ammo for the 6.8 is getting really easy to find now with alot of people jumping on the 68 wagon. Silver State Armory has factory loads for about everything, Remington makes factory as well as Hornady and S&B. I myself love the 100/110Gr Accubond and 110 Prohunters in mine. 6.5 Grendel is a bad choice for you bc you dont reload and i thing the 6x45 is more of a varmint/benchrest caliber bases off a 223 to help with wind at ranges.

Strawdog

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i want to hunt deer with it. 5.56 just seems a little small. the 6x45 uses the sme 5.56 case necked up to 6mm. so that has a good benifit, easy to get brass. but now i keep reading about the 6.8spc, and it is available off the shelf. but i do intend to handload all my ammo. on the other hand the 6.5 grendel seems good, but the brass could be a problem

top notch grendel brass is available here. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=1270213283

strawdog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sorry i mis-read, thought you said you were not reloading. With that being said, I had the same trouble going in to my build. I think i flip flopped on a daily and weekly basis. Good brass can be had on both sides of the 6.8/6.5 field. both have a good selection of bullets (6.8 may have a few more). As for mags i dont know the selection of mags for the 6.5, maybe someone can jump in of who all makes them, as for 6.8 its PRI(Best) Barrett and C-products. I say PRI is the best bc they are really well made mags and can be had in 10-15-25rd and you can can load to a COL of 2.3". The 6.5 is a really good caliber, but the fact that more rifles are being chambered in it from the factory vs the 6.5 and the ease of finding factory loads mixed with the fact that brass is cheaper. For me the 6.8SPC does and has what i need, but both will kill bambi or his dad the same.

Strawdog

Latest posts

Top Bottom