"New" favorite S&W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could also go for the blue/stainless set. Mine don't quite match since one is a ten shot and the other is a six.

617-4:
617-4a4SM.jpg

17-6:
17-6a03SM.jpg

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never owned a 4" K frame in 22LR. I've been very happy with the 6" model 617. Owners of the 4" Model 617 really seem to like them. The 4" is harder to come by. (This seems to be the case going back at least to the models 17 & 18.) I'd be hard pressed to pass on a 4" pre-lock model 617 if the opportunity were right.

Smith & Wesson 22LR revolvers are notorious for having tight chambers. This is easily corrected using a properly sized reamer. I would much rather do this to a stainless cylinder than blued or aluminum.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never owned a 4" K frame in 22LR. I've been very happy with the 6" model 617. Owners of the 4" Model 617 really seem to like them. The 4" is harder to come by. (This seems to be the case going back at least to the models 17 & 18.) I'd be hard pressed to pass on a 4" pre-lock model 617 if the opportunity were right.

Smith & Wesson 22LR revolvers are notorious for having tight chambers. This is easily corrected using a properly sized reamer. I would much rather do this to a stainless cylinder than blued or aluminum.
Thanks.

I get introduced to specimens like these and usually can’t get them out of my head till I own one. But my 686 is a 4” so there was that.

On my target rifles a tight chamber is a good thing. I realize we’re talking cylinders and not chambers though. Only issues I’ve had on a revolver is a Uberti 32-20 with “one” chamber tighter than the other five.

For my bullet sizers I can slot a small rod and wrap a strip till its snug, first of 300 grit, then 600 grip to polish, with a drill. Just have to be careful to do it evenly, front to back. Thought about doing that to that cylinder. Works well with a sizer anyway, made out of die steel. Could be a foolish thing to do for a cylinder/chamber.

Anyway, appreciate both your and the OP’s feedback. You guys both have nice S&W here!

Latest posts

Top Bottom