New Powerful Painkiller Has Abuse Experts Worried

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some of us. The real issue is how to live with the pain on the least amount of drug. But daily the pain becomes so severe that the medication just doesn't begin to help and you know that if you take any more it will be a death sentence probably. If making the drugs stronger is sacary, it should be... but...I find myself looking forward to someone who can help me slow it down or stop it. Since I really care about my family...my trying to eliminate the pain by dying is not an option. Just hope someone can make something that will dull the pain so I can function safely... Nerve death feel like every square inch of your nerves, skin, muscles, etc is on fire because they are dying.
I could do with something stronger... Sorry, but you folks just hit a nerve in me!

Although I don't think my pain is bad enough to make me seek out this new drug, I agree with you completely. For those of us who have permanent injuries that surgery cannot fix, pain medication is a must. I have tried and tried to cope without medication because I was always taught that if you took medication regularly for pain then you were a failure in some way. Now that I have walked a hundred miles in those shoes and have a doctor that actually took the time to figure out what is going on with my neck I see that there are some things that are unavoidable (like pain meds).

I'm still not happy with the prospect of having to take medication for the rest of my life, but it is certainly better than living without them. I've already tried that and it hasn't worked out so well ...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have mild chronic pain. I used to eat Ibuprofen like candy. I never have stomach problems with it like many do. My doc finally put me on Cymbalta, as chronic pain is an off label use for it. I rarely have to take Ibuprofen now and generally feel pretty good physically. I only have one side effect, which isn't usually listed but is a known that's manageable. I can see where people get addicted to painkillers. I had to take Lortab before and after my back surgery, but generally took less than prescribed and it was still hard to come off them after 8 months. :(

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've known multiple Airmen that get prescribed Lortab by the on base med, and then keep going back for more. As long as you tell the Doc you have some kind of pain, they will keep giving out vitamin L. I had Doc say "Are you sure? It's on the taxpayers" to me when I asked for a weaker pain med when I messed my knee up.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The point wasn't that nobody should be on pain meds; it was that prescription drug abuse is out of control, doctors liberally dispense/push said meds (seen it time after time, personally and with other people), drug education is horribly lacking, people are profiting from addiction, and that the government agencies tasked with "keeping us safe from drugs" not only don't care, they have the nerve to flat-out lie to the American public about it...and people still trust them.

Second point was that prescription meds are widely deemed "safe" (especially among teenagers), a problem I believe stems solely from the omnipresence of these drugs and intentional lack of drug education. (Can you blame them? If Lortab had any risk at all , why does every adult they know have a prescription for it?) Point related to that is that it is socially acceptable to abuse prescription meds among adults is social circles that would recoil in horror at the mention of "illegal" drugs. I see that one all the time and it blows my mind.

Final point is we lead the world in problems including and stemming from drug abuse, and for the last 40 years we have refused to examine our policies and maybe try and figure out why.

Adderal was originally marketed as a diet pill before given to kids with ADD. You child is more likely to be diagnosed with ADD/ADHD if they are in the youngest 25%ish of their class because 1 year of development is a lot in 8-10 year olds.

Don't get me started on this. I vividly remember "medication time" in elementary school, when all the kids on dope would get up and the nurse would bring them their Goofenthal. It was Ritalin back then that was the flavor of the day.

IMO it was criminal to drug those little kids like that. Start distorting their view of drugs early by force-feeding pills to them.

... then send them off to D.A.R.E. program after they take their pills and teach them about the evils of marijuana and sniffing markers.

Last edited:

purplehaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC said:
All I know is she pushed it in slowly and my insides started feeling kinda weird and cold (or maybe it was warm? hell I didn't care at the time) followed almost instantly by pure 100% delightful bliss.

Are you sure "she" wasnt a he?

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is it the opinion of most ppl on this board that heavy regulation of drugs in this country is a good thing overall? I'm trying not to turn my comment into a Libertarian Drive By...just want to know.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is it the opinion of most ppl on this board that heavy regulation of drugs in this country is a good thing overall? I'm trying not to turn my comment into a Libertarian Drive By...just want to know.

I think I've made myself more than clear on this board multiple times when I say that it clearly is not. The last 40 years has proved that quite well. The opinions I've voiced in this thread are pretty simple.

I'd say it's the opinion of the American people as a whole that heavy regulation of street drugs is a good thing, and that prescription drugs aren't really drugs. Because that's what we've taught them since they were children. Because we need them as willing customers.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I've made myself more than clear on this board multiple times when I say that it clearly is not. The last 40 years has proved that quite well. The opinions I've voiced in this thread are pretty simple.

I'd say it's the opinion of the American people as a whole that heavy regulation of street drugs is a good thing, and that prescription drugs aren't really drugs. Because that's what we've taught them since they were children. Because we need them as willing customers.
I know what you are saying. Drugs are like candy. When you go in the doc's office and you see the new clock, ink pens, tissue holders, note pads, posters of people in the trees, all say the new drug of the day. I feel like that is what I am going to get, if I want it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom