Painkiller abuse more rampant in Oklahoma than any other state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't you eventually get immune to it? I had them increase the strength on my refill yesterday because the stuff I had been on just wasn't cutting it.

I wouldn't call it "immune". You can build up a tolerance to opioids rather quickly and it takes more and stronger to get the same effect.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could only get 1 stinkin refill of Lortab after open heart surgery. Doc told me to use Tylenol when those ran out.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Pardon me if I am skeptical of these findings. I remember that an number of years ago when every State was looking to enact Meth legislation their State was leading the Nation in meth labs. It seemed that every State wishing to show a need for the Legislation had a study in their pocket that showed those facts.
It would not surprise me to find at least ten more States that are currently leading the nation in painkiller abuse.

Michael

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe we should arrest the dealers instead of the users, the system in use should help identify both.

Drugs Agents: State's Top Doctor Shopper Arrested

[The OBN said the state's prescription monitoring system identified Simmons as the state's No. 1 drug seeker.

The PMP system tracks prescriptions for certain pain medication filled at Oklahoma pharmacies and sends the information to OBN.]

http://www.koco.com/news/21998916/detail.html

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or is it another case of a system allowed to police itself, how can drugs disappear from a pharmacy inventory and not be noted?

Pharmacy tech arrested

[Anson told police he saw Harris give an employee of the pharmacy $100 “and in return received two bottles of liquid and two bottles of pills,” Jones said. “Anson stated ... that (Harris) called the liquid ‘Lean’ and told him the pills were Lortab and Xanax.”]

http://theadanews.com/x1202028189/Pharmacy-tech-arrested

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Part of the problem is a lack of treatment options.

On any given day, 600 to 900 Oklahomans are on a waiting list for a bed in a publicly funded residential substance abuse center.

About 160,000 Oklahomans need treatment for drug and alcohol addiction, according to the state mental health department. The figure includes an estimated 20,000 teenagers.

“In our system, we have enough resources to serve about one-third of the Oklahomans who financially qualify for our services and need help,” White said. “So on any given day, two-thirds of Oklahomans who need help, and qualify, can’t get it.”

^ This is your answer and basis for the article. Evidently someone wants some more taxpayer money to "treat" this issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom