Painkiller abuse more rampant in Oklahoma than any other state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If so many of these damn doctors didn't hand the stuff out like candy, it wouldn't be an issue. Ultimately the blame comes back to the medical community.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that there are doctors out there eager to prescribe these pills to whomever for whatever reason at the drop of a hat. Then you have the other doctors who treat you like a drug addict or give you a lecture on "drug-seeking behavior" even when you REALLY do need it for a long-term condition.

I also agree with MLR and his skepticism on these "studies". I think they play with the numbers a little bit in order to lobby for more useless laws. I say follow the money. I'm sure it'll lead back to some group that will score a nice big profit when these laws go into effect.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what lawyers do ... Gotta have a bunch of laws so you can get arrested for livin and breathin ... Good for bizniz ... It's the perfect business model!

Maybe doctors are following the same model and handing out pills so they can guarantee treatment later. :)

This might be more ranpant that we thought!

Next thing you know, the lawn man will come around and fertilizing your yard in the middle of the night.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe doctors are following the same model and handing out pills so they can guarantee treatment later. :)

Next thing you know, the lawn man will come around and fertilizing your yard in the middle of the night.

I have no doubt!! It took me a LONG time to find a doctor who was willing to treat my neck/headache problems with something more than pain pills. Although I have to say that if you find one good doctor, then they tend to refer you to other good doctors. I'm trying to remember when I ever met a "good" lawyer ... yep, nope, ... not coming to me, haha! ;)

ETA: Oh, WAIT!! I do know ONE -- but he's only ONE of a bazillion I've met over the years! He doesn't post here though!! ;)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Actually, most doctors seem to hate dealing with pain management stuff. The vast majority of them are very time-intensive in your caring for them. Most docs aren't giving the stuff out to hook them into coming back more frequently, it's just the path of least resistance and easier to give in. The tools are there to help manage this stuff, like the PMP system mentioned above, but it's only good for the State of Oklahoma, and most docs are so pressed for time they don't take the time to look people up on the system. I can guarantee you, though, every person I see for a pain complaint is getting looked up. And believe me, the druggies in my area absolutely HATE me. But some of my colleagues they can't wait to see because they know they're getting shots of Dilaudid and a script for some Percocet for a chronic pain complaint from their "arthritis".

It's no joke.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, most doctors seem to hate dealing with pain management stuff. The vast majority of them are very time-intensive in your caring for them. Most docs aren't giving the stuff out to hook them into coming back more frequently, it's just the path of least resistance and easier to give in. The tools are there to help manage this stuff, like the PMP system mentioned above, but it's only good for the State of Oklahoma, and most docs are so pressed for time they don't take the time to look people up on the system. I can guarantee you, though, every person I see for a pain complaint is getting looked up. And believe me, the druggies in my area absolutely HATE me. But some of my colleagues they can't wait to see because they know they're getting shots of Dilaudid and a script for some Percocet for a chronic pain complaint from their "arthritis".

It's no joke.

I know it's not, I'm just emphasizing the fact that more laws don't seem to be the answer.

At the end of the day though, I have to wonder what the solution is.

I know this much... that Dilaudid shot they gave me at the E.R. once is the first and only opiate I've ever had and it was AMAZING how well it relieved the acute pain I was experiencing.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

It's no joke.

I wish there were more doctors out there like you. I do believe it is difficult for doctors to deal with chronic pain issues, especially when they can't really figure out what is going on. I know in my instance I actually have three different processes going on (one in my neck, one with the weight the "girls" put on my neck, shoulders and upper back and the other in my occipital area) which together make for some very confusing symptomology. I didn't even realize what all was going on until this new doctor took the time to really talk to me and I actually saw the light bulb go off in his mind when we were talking at my last visit.

I have gotten more relief from him in 3 visits than in all the doctors I have seen over the last several years combined.

Pain management is NOT for the faint of heart, I guess ...

I can see where folks can get hooked on painkillers ... chronic pain sucks. I just know that for me, the side effects more than outweigh the benefits of pain reduction over the long haul. Guess I should be grateful ... Those side effects are what has kept me from going down a pretty unsavory road ...

I know it's not, I'm just emphasizing the fact that more laws don't seem to be the answer.

At the end of the day though, I have to wonder what the solution is.

I know this much... that Dilaudid shot they gave me at the E.R. once is the first and only opiate I've ever had and it was AMAZING how well it relieved the acute pain I was experiencing.

Seriously?? That stuff makes me insanely ill when it wears off ... But it does work on the pain.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously?? That stuff makes me insanely ill when it wears off ... But it does work on the pain.

I was in so much pain, all I cared about was the immediate relief that it provided. I noticed no side effects.

You're right. tRdoc is one of the good ones. If everyone had his attitude, then this problem would certainly be different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom