New reloader questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I picked up some used reloading equipment and have a few questions to help get me started.

I have a Lee single stage loader (Challenger?) with an assortment of accessories and two sets of dies, 9mm (4 dies) and .223 (4 dies).

There were no instructions included with the dies and I can just barely identify them and sure don't know to adjust them. I was unable to find die specific instructions at www.leeprecision.com.

Where can I find instructions for my dies?

My plan for the near future is to load the following 9mm, .38 special, 30-30 Win, 7.62x54R and 7.62x39. I will probably tackle them in this order. My primary purpose is to shoot cheap and often. Basically, I need plinking ammo. So I am looking to optimize for price.

Any reason I shouldn't consider lead bullets for all of these calibers?

I am looking for flexible powder choices for these calibers. I already have some Win 231. What single powder would you suggest I acquire next?

Does anyone have .38 special, 30-30 win, or 7.62x54R dies to sell or trade? I will probably make the .223 dies and assorted brass available as a trade.

Most of my shopping is done online, but as I get started I don't have a problem paying a premium for small quantities of components from a local retailer. I would prefer to support a local retailer as long as they have fair prices.

Does anyone have any local (to OKC) suggestions for buying components?

I know H&H appears to have a large selection and I bet they have prices to match. I also suspect they won't sell me components if they know I am using them with Lee Precision tools :D I did pick up a Lyman reloading manual from them a while back.

I see J&K on here and lots of people seem happy with them. Do they carry any components other than bullets and do they make any suitable bullets for 30-30, 7.62x54R or 7.62x39?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should start with a reloading manual and reading it.
It'll answer most of your questions and that's where all the secrets are.

As for lead bullets it depends on what you're shooting them out of to answer your concern question, but yes you can shoot lead bullets. The ammo manufacturers sell rounds with lead bullets. For any auto's I'd suggest getting a good hardcast lead bullet like J&K bullets make.

Until you have a little more experieince reloading I'd say hold off on lead bullets in your rifles.

As for a single powder do a search here, that question has been asked many times.

It's an enjoyable hobby. But it's full of opportunities to screw up big time.

As I said first get a reloading manual and read it. Then you can always take a reloading class like they have at H&H.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I picked up some used reloading equipment and have a few questions to help get me started.

I have a Lee single stage loader (Challenger?) with an assortment of accessories and two sets of dies, 9mm (4 dies) and .223 (4 dies).

There were no instructions included with the dies and I can just barely identify them and sure don't know to adjust them. I was unable to find die specific instructions at www.leeprecision.com.

Where can I find instructions for my dies?

If you call Lee, they will probably send you a set of instructions for free.

My plan for the near future is to load the following 9mm, .38 special, 30-30 Win, 7.62x54R and 7.62x39. I will probably tackle them in this order. My primary purpose is to shoot cheap and often. Basically, I need plinking ammo. So I am looking to optimize for price.

Any reason I shouldn't consider lead bullets for all of these calibers?

Lead bullets for 9mm and .38 shouldn't be a problem. The rifle bullets because of the velocity may be a different story.

I am looking for flexible powder choices for these calibers. I already have some Win 231. What single powder would you suggest I acquire next?

Get a reloading manual and compare load data. You may be lucky enough to find one powder to load more than one caliber.

Does anyone have .38 special, 30-30 win, or 7.62x54R dies to sell or trade? I will probably make the .223 dies and assorted brass available as a trade.

Most of my shopping is done online, but as I get started I don't have a problem paying a premium for small quantities of components from a local retailer. I would prefer to support a local retailer as long as they have fair prices.

Does anyone have any local (to OKC) suggestions for buying components?

I know H&H appears to have a large selection and I bet they have prices to match. I also suspect they won't sell me components if they know I am using them with Lee Precision tools :D I did pick up a Lyman reloading manual from them a while back.

H&H could care less what you're using to load your bullets with. They will sell you whatever you have the money to pay for.

I see J&K on here and lots of people seem happy with them. Do they carry any components other than bullets and do they make any suitable bullets for 30-30, 7.62x54R or 7.62x39?

J&K has a pretty decent selection of bullets to choose from. Thay also have a website and are members of this board. I don't know if they make any rifle bullets or not.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies FireCop203 and Old Fart.

I do have reloading manuals that I am currently working through. Both Lyman and Modern Reloading. Definitely a lot of information to digest.

I know similar questions about "one powder to rule them all" have been asked before and there is never is a correct or best answer. At the same time, there may be some good suggestions or opinions which I wouldn't have gotten without asking. I am not looking for a shortcut, but just some reasonable guidance.

As far as what I am shooting:
9mm - variety of semi-autos
.38sp - S&W J frame and others
30-30 Win - Winchester 1894
7.62x54R - Mosin Nagant 91/30
7.62x39 - SKS

Some more specifics on motivation by caliber:
For the .38 special and and 30-30 Win I want make cheap, cheap ammo so I can practice shooting cheaper/more often. At this time I am not interested in loading a better cartridge.

For 9mm, I already have the appropriate dies and some components so it makes a good starter for reloading. If I use cast bullets, I should be able to do it cheaper. Since I am not really interested in making a better cartridge (at this time), then reloading with jacketed bullets seems only marginally worthwhile to me.

For 7.62x54R, cheap surplus ammo is available for plinking. But the majority of surplus has steel core, and the commercial often has steel jackets that isn't suitable for use at H&H where I shoot most often. Commercial rounds with no steel are usually a relative premium. So reduced charge rounds with cast bullets sounds appealing. I also want to prepare for when cheap surplus ammo is not readily available.

For 7.62x39, cheap ammo is available and likely to stay available. I still would like to prepare for when cheap ammo is not available and may want to load a better quality cartridge in the future.

Reading some of the other posts on the forum I can see that H&H is probably not too badly priced for components and Bass Pro Shop also has reloading supplies (I had forgotten). I see lots of praise for Gene Sears in El Reno, but given their hours (daytime weekdays), I don't think I will be able to get over there. Any other OKC recommendations?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a reloading master but I have some experience. I'd recommend starting with .38 SPL to get your feet wet. Revolvers will be much more tolerant of ammo than autos. I enjoy looking at the various reloading recipe sights such as http://www.reloadammo.com/ since there are several recipes for you to make decent ammo with the components you happen to have on hand at the time.

Pick up some .357" bullets from J&K (or similar), find your bullet weight, locate whatever powder you have on hand and check out the available recipes for that combo. You will need a scale if you don't already have one. Check your work often. If someone gives you grief about using one particular brand of loading equipment over another, fly them the bird. Lee's stuff works great for the average Joe.

There are several different methods for priming, dropping powder, etc. so you'll find what works for you. I prefer to hand prime using a Hornady priming tool since it uses normal shell holders. For powder dropping I usually "cheat". I use the Lee dippers and find a recipe that I can get close to with the dippers and always go under weight rather than over.

For powders there are a lot of choices. Unique and Bullseye are quite common but be careful of Bullseye in large cases like 45 Colt. Titegroup is also popular. I've been messing with Trail Boss in .38s and I like it though I'm not the pickiest shooter in the world.

Keep asking questions! Reloading is both fun and rewarding but play it safe 100% of the time. It is is not worth the risk to yourself and others by hot-rodding loads. Keep it under the max powder weight and enjoy!

You can also learn quite a bit of the basics on Youtube.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you really want to go cheap start learning about casting.
For you little plinker pistol rounds you can save a truckload.
I can reload my 38's with Bullseye and my own cast bullets for around $1.50 - $2.00 a box of 50.
Now Bullseye isn't a good choice for a beginner because of really small charges, but it is economically.
But it would be easy for a beginner to double or even triple charge if not real careful.
I think you'll want to look at one of the slower powders to start off.
Something like Unique would be a good choice.
Most of my bullet casting stuff is Lee Precision.
I've never had any problem with Lee stuff and I've been reloading for around 40 years.

Slack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Old Fart, thanks for the followup. The information about Bullseye is great. I see Bullseye come up enough that it would be on my short list, but I wouldn't have figured out the downside you spoke of until it was in my hand.

I am not embarrassed about the Lee equipment. I very much like a good value and good function and it seems they do both really well. It was more a jab at H&H which scared me away from reloading by just letting me walk by the high end presses they sell and letting me see the price tags. I specifically noted that that they didn't sell Lee. That is a shame. I might have bought new equipment from them if they carried the more affordable Lee. From what I read, the only reason I would go with another manufacturer is if a really great deal came along, or I had a windfall and got tired of spending it on women and guns.

I called Lee up this morning and they are sending out instructions for the dies ASAP. According to them, the reason they don't have their die instructions online is that their policy is to not distribute load information (included with the instructions) in an electronic format. No load information passed by email, internet, or phone.

As soon as get my press bolted to something I am going to crank out some 9mm. They aren't going to be pretty, but it is going to happen.

I am definitely interested in casting, but I don't think I will getting into anytime soon. In the meantime I think I will focus on making friends with someone else who is into it. :-)

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I started out on a Lee single stage. It taught me all the basics and I loaded some good ammo on it. Nothing to be embarrased about. After reloading on that and coming to the realization that my wife and I could quickly outstrip the capabilities of the Lee it went to exclusively rifle and a new Dillon 550 sits in its place. Even though its faster (by far) it still comes down to basics. And just an FYI it is expensive to reload 7.62x39. IF you can even find the components.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&H doesn't give a $h!t if you are loading with a claw hammer and a piece of gas pipe. They want your money, and have, probably, what you need. They have the dominant place in OKC reloading supplies due to heavy capital investment, and look to corner the market in the future. Bring money, and expect to leave without it. As others have said, read your manuals carefully. Start with one caliber. Forget the others until you are real comfortable with the first one. Do not do Bullseye. It's dangerous for any loader, and deadly for new ones. Unique is dirty and safer. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom