New Rifle! Marlin 336 in 30/30.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I put a Leupold VXII 1-4X20 on my 336 this Fall.
Works good and looks good too.
ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b398_FLHRI_OK_09_20deer_IMG_4787.jpg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's just something sexy about the awsomeness of blue steel and walnut that is the good ol' levergun. I picked up mine a few months ago after 30 years of searching.

I'm sure everybody is sick and tired of seeing these pics, but sadly, I have none of my own, so I gotta borrow Riley007's. :respect:

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Hornaday Leverevolution ammo is the way to go

Wrong Kevin,the lever evolution will not work in a standard 336 or1895.Something about the follower in the magazine and the bullet shape.I bought a 45/70 Guide Gun from a guy who tried to use it(LE ammo) and after the first shot it locked the gun up.He called Marlin and that's what they told him.He had a gunsmith disassemble the rifle to unlock it.I haven't tried it personally and have no desire to try it in my 30/30,45/70 or 44 mag marlins.Anyway MM,I love the Marlin lever guns,I have 4. Steve

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wrong Kevin,the lever evolution will not work in a standard 336 or1895.Something about the follower in the magazine and the bullet shape.I bought a 45/70 Guide Gun from a guy who tried to use it(LE ammo) and after the first shot it locked the gun up.He called Marlin and that's what they told him.He had a gunsmith disassemble the rifle to unlock it.I haven't tried it personally and have no desire to try it in my 30/30,45/70 or 44 mag marlins.Anyway MM,I love the Marlin lever guns,I have 4. Steve

I beg to differ. There is a new version of the follower that is concave instead of flat. This allows for the bullets that are pointer(LE rounds) to center up in the follower easier than before.

I have ran LE rounds through 3 seperate 336 rifles(80, 84 and 00 year makes) not one problem what so ever. the 336 I currently own is a 1980 build with the old metal follower. No feed problems at all. my 1895G had a loading issue that was not ammo related. It was fixed now it eats anything I feed it.

If you are concerned about feeding with the LE style projectiles. Call Marlin and request a new follower. But you might try before you call as you might not have any issues.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get several different brands of ammo. I have put 5 different brands through the 336 I still own. It didn't like 2 of the 5. Remington Corelok, Federal walmart special and LE ammo all seemed to group better than the other two brands I shot(another Remington and Winchester). I need to put it in a solid rest and try again with those three brands to see what performs best out of my rifle.

WNM I tried to wait a bit longer. Sorry. The good thing is. These rifles are plentiful. You shouldn't have any trouble locating one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom