New Scope (if you can't afford much check this one out)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well after blowing all of my money on my Geissele Trigger I still needed a scope but with very little money I knew it was going to be hard to find a decent one. Well I was only partly wrong with the assumption that I wouldn't be able to find a decent one. I found this little diamond in the rough on Sportsmansguide.com http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=371467 I read the reviews (which half of what I find on SG's site I rarely believe its an actual customer) and decided I would give it a try since I get the member price and I also received free shipping. It showed up yesterday so I haven't had the chance to get it out to the range yet obviously, but first impressions do say a lot about something. I admit that when I took it out of the box and saw that it was a barska I was ok with that, I only spent $27 I didn't expect a top end scope. I tossed it on my AR so I could get an idea of how it was and I was honestly surprised, yea at 9x it gets a little blurry inside the house but I am sure out at the range it will be better. The glass is pretty stinkin clear for being such a cheap scope and that definitely made me happy. I bore sighted it this morning and it was way off but now its on the laser like it should be. I will post some pics of it on my AR later, and once I get it out to the range I will try and leave a range report also.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shooting these cheaper scopes usually brings out the gremlins. Inconsistent adjustments and moving POI after firing a few hundred rounds are the problems these scopes typically see. You putting it on a .223 should help as its a recoil friendly round and on a gas operated semi auto rifle you are diminishing recoil even further.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't the first time I have used cheaper optics, personally I don't hunt and I only go out to plink. As far as spending more on a scope then I do on a gun seems a bit overkill IMHO. I was just posting this up for those of us who can't afford to spend $$$$$ on a scope. Please do not troll on my post.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My post was not meant in a trolling fashion, I was just letting you know that typically with lower end scopes they work well enough when they've never been used not even once. What destroys cheap scopes is using them.

Best of luck in all that you do.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My roommate just got a cheap little Tasco for his Mosin Nagant. I told him it would break after a few rounds. Sure enough, after a few rounds the reticule started moving. Now it spins completely around every couple rounds, but still stay on target...for now. With a lower caliber, cheaper scopes are fine, but once big rounds start flying...

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't the first time I have used cheaper optics, personally I don't hunt and I only go out to plink. As far as spending more on a scope then I do on a gun seems a bit overkill IMHO. I was just posting this up for those of us who can't afford to spend $$$$$ on a scope. Please do not troll on my post.

Not trying to troll. Just stating the facts, while staying on topic. You can have the most accurate rifle in the world. If you can't see the target, it wont matter... Every time I buy cheap, personally, it fails me. You can get by with some cheap stuff. But I try not to skimp on tools. Again, this is from my experience, personally. I hope you have the best of luck with your $25 scope. Enjoy!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

One of the best reasons to be an OSA member is all the good advice that's available from folks that have been there, done that. Everyone has posted nicely in this thread and there's definitely been no trolling. We all hope your scope holds up for your intended use. However, we've seen firsthand on many occasions, scopes in this price range that haven't. It's just the experiences we've had. Spending as much on your optic as the firearm itself is definitely not overkill. As has been stated, the most accurate rifle in the world is useless if the optic doesn't perform equally well for every shot. Most AR's are capable of accuracy that exceeds the ability of the shooter.

Check out the optics threads and you'll find loads of advice on decent quality optics that hold up for a decent price. Personally, I'd rather buy a quality used optic than a new "value brand".I'd also recommend shooting iron sights until you can save enough for at least a decent mid-range optic like the Bushnell Elite, Burris Fullfield, Meuller Tactical, Nikon M223, Vortex Diamondback, etc.

You dropped some serious coin on one of the best AR triggers available. It just stands to reason that if you like quality parts like the Geissele, you'd appreciate a decent optic to top the rifle off with. Best of luck!

BDSolutionsArdmore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the best reasons to be an OSA member is all the good advice that's available from folks that have been there, done that. Everyone has posted nicely in this thread and there's definitely been no trolling. We all hope your scope holds up for your intended use. However, we've seen firsthand on many occasions, scopes in this price range that haven't. It's just the experiences we've had. Spending as much on your optic as the firearm itself is definitely not overkill. As has been stated, the most accurate rifle in the world is useless if the optic doesn't perform equally well for every shot. Most AR's are capable of accuracy that exceeds the ability of the shooter.

Check out the optics threads and you'll find loads of advice on decent quality optics that hold up for a decent price. Personally, I'd rather buy a quality used optic than a new "value brand".I'd also recommend shooting iron sights until you can save enough for at least a decent mid-range optic like the Bushnell Elite, Burris Fullfield, Meuller Tactical, Nikon M223, Vortex Diamondback, etc.

You dropped some serious coin on one of the best AR triggers available. It just stands to reason that if you like quality parts like the Geissele, you'd appreciate a decent optic to top the rifle off with. Best of luck!

+1

I'm sure we all hope that your scope serves you for the purpose that you indend it. G2G said it perfect. I shot iron sites on my rifles for almost 10 years before I dove off into optics. I personally think I'm a thousand times better off for having done that. It has taken some time but I am surely glad that I spent the cash that I did on the otics that I am running now on my AR's.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have iron sights on my AR, and thats another huge expense that I cannot take on right now that is why I went with the cheapo scope for now. For the iron sights I have to have a front sight that works on a gas block and the only one I found that does that is the Troy which for a Troy set we all know its not cheap. I very much appreciate your input guys, I simply put this up to let others like myself who cannot afford to spend a ton of money on optics right now know that there was a cheap scope that was at least a bit better then the ones you get at Wally World.

Latest posts

Top Bottom