New Tat from Tony Garcia at ADI

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's kind of expensive but he is worth every penny.
If there is anything that 'you get what you pay for' refers to the most it would be tattoo work. In the shop I co-own with my exwife we see stuff all the time on people coming in wanting something covered up that they got somewhere from a friend or cousin or just a hole in the wall shop somewhere for cheap and it looked,cheap. Good work costs money. You have no idea what a nationally or internationally known artist charges,so feel lucky that you found a great artist local who hasnt had any national exposure,yet. Believe me,when they get famous the price goes way up and access to them is almost impossible. Ive been getting tattooed since 87' and I will and do travel almost any where for great work by someone I really want work from. 3 artists on my bubble I want work from right now are almost always either constantly booked or not taking any more clients in for awhile, and if you do get in you would have to take out a loan to get work done by some of them. But theyre that good.

Really nice work you got there.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there is anything that 'you get what you pay for' refers to the most it would be tattoo work. In the shop I co-own with my exwife we see stuff all the time on people coming in wanting something covered up that they got somewhere from a friend or cousin or just a hole in the wall shop somewhere for cheap and it looked,cheap. Good work costs money. You have no idea what a nationally or internationally known artist charges,so feel lucky that you found a great artist local who hasnt had any national exposure,yet. Believe me,when they get famous the price goes way up and access to them is almost impossible. Ive been getting tattooed since 87' and I will and do travel almost any where for great work by someone I really want work from. 3 artists on my bubble I want work from right now are almost always either constantly booked or not taking any more clients in for awhile, and if you do get in you would have to take out a loan to get work done by some of them. But theyre that good.

Really nice work you got there.

I totally agree and I too will pay for something nice. I have a few that Im not so proud of. Got when I was younger and my brother needed some practice, it's stupid but you learn. Im going to have him cover them up when he can get me in. I scheduled the appointment for this tat 2 months ago. He's that booked. He did a portrait of our kids on my wife's back and and I was impressed.

ai965.photobucket.com_albums_ae135_RaysMax_003.jpg

[Broken External Image]

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few that Im not so proud of. Got when I was younger and my brother needed some practice.

Haha. Yaa,me too. I practiced on oranges and stuff when I was first started apprenticing in my first shop in San Francisco where I started working right out of art school. I did a little practicing on myself but my dumbass friends who wanted 'free' tattoos got the bulk of my first pieces. Lollll. We always have giggled at the old saying of 'you know how good your artist is by the work they have on them'. Sometimes it is,Ive seen some artists with really bad work,but I see alot more these days with nice work so usually that isnt really true any more these days. Some of it may be from them when they first started out but most like me were probably lucky that alot of their work was from coworkers trying to help train them.

I get asked alot from my friends in Oklahoma if they can come over and get some work at my house,and usually for free or cheap. First,I'm only licensed in California and Iowa,where our shops are located, because thats where I lived before I met my Okie wife and moved here after we got married. Second,blood born pathogens and a blood spray mist you cant even see are flying around all over the place (ever wonder why good clean tattoo shops dont have carpet on the floor and have sinks in every stall,they wear gloves,etc,?) and I dont want someone bleeding in my kitchen where my family fixes their food. Third,would I call my Dr or mechanic or plumber friends for free or cheap work who went to school and have expensive equipment to maintain? No. Then why ask a tattoo artist for a free tattoo? Stupids.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha. Yaa,me too. I practiced on oranges and stuff when I was first started apprenticing in my first shop in San Francisco where I started working right out of art school. I did a little practicing on myself but my dumbass friends who wanted 'free' tattoos got the bulk of my first pieces. Lollll. We always have giggled at the old saying of 'you know how good your artist is by the work they have on them'. Sometimes it is,Ive seen some artists with really bad work,but usually it isnt really true. Some of it may be from them when they first started out but most like me were probably lucky that alot of their work was from coworkers trying to help train you.

Do you have a portfolio?? I want to see some of your work.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not had any new work since about 2000, but I want to get a full back piece done, maybe get started on it next summer. Gotta find a starving artist to draw up my concept though, first. :o

Last few I've had were down in Austin at a place called Shades of Grey Dermagraphics - Arnoldo Carillo. Super great guy, does great work. Most of his work is with plastic surgeons last I heard, but I got in for a couple of pieces with him. I always said I'd only go back to him, but there are some seriously talented artists locally these days, so who knows....?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have a portfolio?? I want to see some of your work.

Ya I have a book of my stuff at the shop. Ive mostly stuck with alot of black and grey,tribal, and most always custom. Im not that great of an artist,I wasnt naturally gifted at drawing Ive had to work at learning it. My ex though is a natural born artist and she is awesome. I havent been active the last couple of years as my music career has been so busy,I just help manage the place with my ex wife now. I miss it though.

Heres a pic of a piece I did of some custom tribal a few years ago. I drew it right on the arm with a sharpie. I did have a sketch to go by though sitting beside me.

And then a pic of some spider web I drew on my self and my ex did the inking a few weeks ago. Lol,sorry,my camera pics suck. The web goes all the way around my shoulder and then down the underside of my arm to my elbow interweaved in with the rest of my stuff. I try to draw most everything on myself that I can with help from ex and then she is usually the one to lay it in if I cant get to it.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks cool. That first pic is work my brother in law is in to. He loves tribal. I used to like it too but then it became so popular that I lost interest. I do love black and grey though. Nice work. I want some flames on my arms, wrist to elbows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom