New to coyote hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate any tips from experienced individuals.
I bought a new marlin 982vs for "quality control" of my land.

*is it legal to shoot coyote with a .22mag at night(do I need to obtain a permit or just go hunt)
*can I use a red light or spotlight to aid vision?
*is baiting legal
*no calls, reeds, or electronic?
*use blaze orange at night?

Any tips??

This is all on private property in hughes county if that makes a diff...

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't legally use a rifle at night to hunt coyotes.you can hunt at night but it is shotgun only and you can't use shot bigger than #6 shot. You must get a permit at least 24 hours in advance. It's kind of a pain but it can be done. Baiting is legal.

So are you having some problems with coyotes or just wanting to hunt them? Any rimfire is a poor choice for coyotes IMO. If you have a shotgun I would use it. If you have never hunted coyotes I would suggest trying to hunt them in the daytime if possible. Find someone that knows how to hunt them that will show you how. They can be very difficult to call if you don't know a few basics.

Good luck! Scott

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on what okhunter said. He is one of the most knowledgable hunters we have in the OPHA and would probably be open to showing you the ropes.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sure do thank ya for the help. I do not currently own a shotgun, but I will definelty look into one. I guess I'll have to stick to daytime with my .22mag for now. I would use a centerfire but I honestly just don't want to. Ill just see how a .22wmr from a 22 inch barrel performs first.

And yes, the coyotes are getting thicker by the year out there. I see them often now and they are quite persistent lil guys...even when they see me they will keep on their path. I have had I few in my sights recently while deer hunting, but I never shot at one yet.

As for calling them in, I never have. I might buy a reed and practice till I'm confident. Also....what kind of bait to use??

You can't legally use a rifle at night to hunt coyotes.you can hunt at night but it is shotgun only and you can't use shot bigger than #6 shot. You must get a permit at least 24 hours in advance. It's kind of a pain but it can be done. Baiting is legal.

So are you having some problems with coyotes or just wanting to hunt them? Any rimfire is a poor choice for coyotes IMO. If you have a shotgun I would use it. If you have never hunted coyotes I would suggest trying to hunt them in the daytime if possible. Find someone that knows how to hunt them that will show you how. They can be very difficult to call if you don't know a few basics.

Good luck! Scott

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sure do thank ya for the help. I do not currently own a shotgun, but I will definelty look into one. I guess I'll have to stick to daytime with my .22mag for now. I would use a centerfire but I honestly just don't want to. Ill just see how a .22wmr from a 22 inch barrel performs first.

And yes, the coyotes are getting thicker by the year out there. I see them often now and they are quite persistent lil guys...even when they see me they will keep on their path. I have had I few in my sights recently while deer hunting, but I never shot at one yet.

As for calling them in, I never have. I might buy a reed and practice till I'm confident. Also....what kind of bait to use??

You can shoot them with the .22 mag but you will lose them if you take chest shots many times. I have tried it and quit it. They probably die but not where you can find them. If you will be choosy and only take close shots you can head shoot or something, it will work fine but coyotes are not usually that cooperative. Good luck and take some pics if you get some.

C

coythtr

If u have a centerfire suggest use it ,shootin coyotes w 22mag is poor choice, they will run off, no reason to wound w u can kill.Get a close reed and practice.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don, you are too kind. There really are some good hunters over there on the OPHA.
If you are planning to control your coyote population it can't be done by calling alone. As was mentioned above you will have to trap them also. Even then it can be an ongoing job. As far as baiting goes I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. It takes alot of hours watching a carcass or bait pile which I don't have time for.
Hope this helps you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Trapping them, is an art in itself.
Its not like just doing a dirt set for coons.
Their nose is so sensitive that extra special precautions have to be taken when making sets.
Maximum scent control of both traps, bait, and human scent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom