New to coyote hunting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunted coyotes with a .22 when I was a teenager and I wouldn't use one today. If you have a centerfire then use it by all means. If you arent good with the mouth calls there some electronic calls out there for a reasonable price. When I'm hunting during rifle season I shoot every coyote I see, unless I've got a good buck coming in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Coyote trapping with steel is tough. Snares at fence crossings is the most effective, but snares are illeagal in OK. Their noses are incredible, have had most success with setting steel around deer/hog carcass. Make sure the carcass is in as open area as possible, this will help prevent catching other vermin. Calling one in and pulling the trigger on one is a blast though!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coyote trapping with steel is tough. Snares at fence crossings is the most effective, but snares are illeagal in OK. Their noses are incredible, have had most success with setting steel around deer/hog carcass. Make sure the carcass is in as open area as possible, this will help prevent catching other vermin. Calling one in and pulling the trigger on one is a blast though!

On occasion I've been hanging steel at both sides of their fence crossings with some bait tied to the wire. Not the most sucessful set, but at least they normally cross there.

I'll be setting for coons this coming weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom