New to hunting/prepping huting area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep,programmable timers are the only way to go.I set the am at sunrise the pm at 1 hr before sunset.I found some deer hear the timer go off wait awhile them come in,so I set mine 1 hr. before sunset to allow time for deer to get there before dark.You will use a lot less feed with timers.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
swamp i'm new here, live in mcalester. i was talking to my boss at work the other day though and i think he said that the deer cocaine worked well for his relatives down broken bow way, but he had no success with the same around seminole-sounds you're about halfway between the two, so it might work for you;i put one of those red mineral blocks for cattle out on some land i hunt on north of hartshorne and they ain't touched it yet, but it's been out less than two weeks

swamp donkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, made he nice 140 mile drive today (one way) and threw out corn and oats all over the trails just to see what comes about here in a few weeks. put a few piles of corn and put some molasses on it. I've got one of the screw in "rage" licks down by one of the trails. only been 3 days since I did that though. I have a cocaine block down on another trail that im testing. and right at dusk on my way out. spotted 2 doe and a young buck with a fawn. then as I got by the gate there were 15 eating in a field. It was a semi productive day down there. I walked half the property to find where my land actually ends at, cleaned out my trailer that people have been so nice to shoot up and the mice have called home for a good while (filled 4 big black trash bags) (oh and people have broken all the beds and stolen all the cushions.)

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
140 miles one way makes my 55 mile trip to pawhuska look like nothing. I hunt on 100 acres of pristine indian lands and have never put out any food.

it's solid woods full of Oak trees throwing off bumper crops of acorns to need putting out food. it's got a good size spring fed pond in the middle with a small river running through corner of property.

most times I'm stalking deer and will generally see 6-10 does. bucks are generally close behind... have never shot over a feeder

it's key to spend some quality time on the land getting to know the lay of the land. most importantly looking for deer signs... you need to find out where the normal deer paths are.

Yeah, made he nice 140 mile drive today (one way) and threw out corn and oats all over the trails just to see what comes about here in a few weeks. put a few piles of corn and put some molasses on it. I

swamp donkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
140 miles one way makes my 55 mile trip to pawhuska look like nothing. I hunt on 100 acres of pristine indian lands and have never put out any food.

it's solid woods full of Oak trees throwing off bumper crops of acorns to need putting out food. it's got a good size spring fed pond in the middle with a small river running through corner of property.

most times I'm stalking deer and will generally see 6-10 does. bucks are generally close behind... have never shot over a feeder

it's key to spend some quality time on the land getting to know the lay of the land. most importantly looking for deer signs... you need to find out where the normal deer paths are.

Ive got oaks, pines, and pecans. you'd think they'd be all over it. but I don't have water up there anymore. I'm trying to find trails. but I really don't have that good of an eye for it yet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

If you have acorns, the deer won't even look at a feeder while they can forage for acorns. You have a good area. No acorns in my hunting area...not may trees either, but it works.:D

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gave up on all the prefab attractants. straight blackstrap molasses is $30 bucks for 5 gallons. the feed store orders it in for me. I've splashed molasses on everything that will hold still and have spent about 45 bucks this year.
The prefab stuff is basically molasses, sugar water, and a synthetic apple/acorn smell adder. some have added "minerals" which basically breaks down to a natural salt ore.
Commercial deer attractants wildly overpriced, and rarely new ingredients. Trophy Rock for instance is 100% natural salt. that's it. good marketing makes it stick in hunters minds as something special.
Read some labels, do some research. I'm not donating any more money to people who are filthy rich already just because they can afford to spend millions in advertising.

Latest posts

Top Bottom