new to rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have mostly shot shotguns all my life, recently got a 308 and having lots of fun. I reload shotgun shells and am thinking I need to reload 308 to help with expenses. I would like to ask with a single stage press how long does it take to load 100.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have to ask how long it takes to reload 100 cartridges, you probably shouldn't reload. Provided you start with brass that's already prepped and ready to load, you should be able to easily crank out 100 in a couple of hours with individually weighed charges and faster if you just throw charges on a single stage press.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend who reloads told me that the progressive press's ammo isn't as accurate, that is is much more exact with a single stage. Do you feel this is true, also if that is true, would a turret press make shells more in line with a single stage?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The ONLY reason a progressive presses ammo would be less accurate is because you wouldn't be taking the time to check and measure each round individually like you could with a single stage. The dies and press itself are just a precise on a progressive as they are on a single stage.

If you were to be sloppy with a single stage, it is completely possible that you could end up with less accurate ammo from the single stage than with the progressive.

The turret press allows you to set the dies into the "turret" and not have to remove them frequently. And unless you get a auto indexing turret (IIRC only Lee makes these), you use the turret exactly as you would a single stage. The only difference is that when you are done sizing/depriming/priming, instead of removing the die, you simply turn the turret and start the next step.

How long to load 100 rounds? It all depends on how much you are doing with the rounds. If you trim for length, clean primer pockets, tumble a second time, measure all dimensions, etc etc for extreme precision, then it could take a long time for 100 rounds. If you are making "plinking" rounds, just to get out and shoot, and aren't worried about exacting precision, it is much faster. In other words, you can be as fast or as slow as you want to.

For example, I load .223 for my AR on a progressive, as I'm not worried about high precision for a basic carbine, and I can load 100 in under an hour easy. But for my .243 I load on a couple single stage presses, and 20-40 will take me an hour, and that's not doing a lot of the steps that precision long range shooters do.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
prep time of the cases , if you resize, tumble & trim (weigh cases & seperate)some do) & then hand prime maybe an hour not including the tumble time. Weight each load I use a dillion digital scale & have my system down usually can get 100 cases filled in another 45 min-hour. Have die set for OAL & load each bullet looking at each powder charge as I go to see it is overall the same 20min, lee factory crimp 15 min. I usually size trim & clean one day or session, remove from media set primer tool up & prime. then load the next. Splitting it up seems like it is not as time consuming

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will you be loading for a semi-auto 308 or a bolt gun?

That has a lot to do with which platform you go with.

Bolt, save the money a progressive cost vs a single stage and buy more components. Auto, well maybe a progressive is the right choice.
Plus what are the chance you might get bit by the shooting bug and want to shoot more than a couple hundred rounds a week. Being that you have been reloading shotgun shells I presume you're not to be new to reloading. You already understand the need to be careful. Most people who are just starting I suggest they start with an inexpensive single stage and learn the ropes.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You boys know your stuff. I am learning a lot reading these posts and I appreciate your patience with a novice.
I have a bolt action 308 and have just been target shooting at Red Castle. Finding I'm really enjoying rifles, always had thought shotguns were the most fun.
I see you can just decide how good a round you want and it takes the time it takes. It sounds as if a single stage would probably do me and a turret would be the same, just faster.
If you want to load pistol rounds as well can you buy a different plate and leave the dies installed in each one and just switch plates?

Latest posts

Top Bottom