new to rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd get a quality (read Redding, RCBS or Lyman) turret press in your situation. You can load 100 rounds pretty quickly once you get a methodology established and get familiar with your gun. And with that bolt gun I'd get a Redding 3 die set with the full length and neck size dies. Neck size most of the time and full length for picked up range brass not fired through your gun. I tend to size all cases, hand prime all cases, powder charge, and seat bullets. It goes pretty quick once your equipment is adjusted and dialed in. And if you use a ball powder you can probably just throw each case without trickling. BLC(2) is a good one for .308 and meters within a couple of tenths of a grain and less through my progressive.

I would tend to shy away from a progressive in your scenario. On my progressive I find that my bullet seating depth is about .010 shorter on the last few rounds because there is no case being sized in the first station. There is some shell plate flex and every progressive press is going to have some. You don't have this issue with a single stage at all or a turret as long as you use it like Nikat stated. For most rifles that's not going to be an issue but a good bolt gun could reveal it as a problem if you get your load really dialed in. The only caliber I load on my progressive is .223. I would have to assume that a larger caliber like .308 would be a little worse unless you are only neck sizing, then it may not be bad at all.

Hope this helps.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tell you what I'm not sure of, my desire seems to be evolving as I learn more for what I want out of a press and I feel I'm in the right place to ask.
My friends that have gotten me into rifle shooting are way into long range, extreme accuracy. That is who I shoot with so I'm more concerned about a press that will load shells that are as good as I can get, more so than speed. I can be a little competitive and I will have to listen to how we all shot at work all week. So I need all the help out of my equipment that I can get especially since their skill level is higher than mine at this point though I don't intend to stay that way.
My newest question is this, does the turret make as accurate rounds as a single stage, you know does the plate for the turret flex or not line up quite as well or do anything else I don't know about to make the shell not quite as good?
I would also like to thank all those here who have been answering and explaining things to me without making me feel stupid or wish I hadn't ask something as it was so foolish.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Presses from the makers Shadowrider mentioned will serve you well. For that kind of extreme precision, the dies used become more important than the press.

I am not much farther along on the long range shooting than you, maybe less, as I haven't shot with serious shooters yet. But from what I understand, at first, the difference made by good ammo vs extremely good ammo won't make that much of a difference to a novice shooter.

Now, I'm sure someone will come along with more knowledge on the subject, but my advice is to buy a decent press (one of the ones Shadowrider mentioned), good dies (Redding are very good for the price from what I have read), high quality powder dispenser and other reloading accessories, good components (ie, bullets), and do some research on recommended loads, if possible specific to your rifle. Then go to loading some rounds and get trigger time.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might want to check out a lee classic cast turret press. It is a different design completely than the others. The Lyman has a central shaft and the die holders rotate around the shaft and when you pull the press handle there is a little flex where the die holder is connected to the shaft. Now granted, it is not much but it is there and one would assume that it is consistent with each pull of the handle. I'm quite certain that RCBS and Redding use the same design. On the lee, there are bolts all the way around the die holder that puts even pressure all the way around and should eliminate any flex. Look at some of the videos on the net and you can see how they all operate.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, any press that will load .308 will load .45. I can't think of any common press that is pistol only. The only thing that would limit the spectrum of rounds possible to load is overall length of the loaded cartridge, and possible the amount of force required to size the brass, but I doubt that is a limiting factor on most presses.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another question.
My kids have all moved out of the house (life is good) and I have recently taken one of their old rooms to make MY ROOM, very excited. I have all my rods and reels, I have more than I can really justify, my wife doesn't read this forum so I can say that here. I also have my gun cabinet, desk, tv, moving my computer up there, you get the picture, its going to be awesome. Thinking of hanging a "no girls allowed" sign up like the old clubhouse when I was a kid. I think I will build a reloading bench for my shotgun press, its very big with electric shell feeder and new press for rifle, pistol. I reload shotshells sitting down, thats going to be the same with my new loader won't it? I mean you don't have to stand to do this do you? I'm thinking about the height to build the table. Planning on making it plenty long, I've got room.

Latest posts

Top Bottom