New to the community and happy to be here. Want to build my first AR.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DevilDoc29

Hey all, I hope to learn alot from you guys. Let me tell you a little about myself. I spent 5 years in the Navy as a corpsman a little over 2 years with the Marines. I am currently an electrician working in OKC and an avid gun enthusiast. I love AK-47's and AR-15'S. I bought my first AK with my highschool graduation money, a Maadi, and have been hooked every since. Currently I am looking to build an AR and start reloading. Any info from you all is golden. There is no telling how many years of firearm experience is in this forum and I appreciate any and all! I want to build an AR and need a good platform to start with. I am looking forward to your input. Thank you.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't be overly anxious to start, parts sales will pick up again in the spring.
spend your time now deciding what parts you want and pick up a few tools.
(reddog has an ar tool on sale.)
good luck and have fun.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't be overly anxious to start, parts sales will pick up again in the spring.
spend your time now deciding what parts you want and pick up a few tools.
(reddog has an ar tool on sale.)
good luck and have fun.

Perfect example of the community that we have going here. A fellow dealer telling a customer about an inexpensive tool that another dealer has! Welcome to OSA, there is a lot of information here and it will take time to process. I will say that the best you could do for yourself to gain knowledge is to just go back pages in each forum that your interested in and read old topics. Also I spent a lot of time at first searching the forums for answers to questions I had. Then I learned how to use google to search the forums. example following looking for information on a model 10 savage then search "model 10 savage site:0kshooters.com" Just a few things I have learned and usually google is alot quicker in coming up with search results.... anyway welcome to the community and I hope you get to enjoy it.
--Mech

TulsaGeoff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Welcome, I just went through my first AR. I originally bought a DPMS for $570. Then I wanted the Magpul hand guard and verticle grip. Then the free float rail etc... Recently sold it for what I had into the rifle and bought a Daniel Defense upper with a spikes lower. Just read and learn and try to manage your addiction. I'm sitting here dying for my new rifles parts to start coming in :)

D

DevilDoc29

Thanks Mech! I just found Brownells site on how to build an AR. its very informative. Its also in video which helps us visual learners. I appreciate your post. I really would like to hear some opinions on what a good lower and upper would be. Thanks

wheats

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built mine from scratch from reading the Brownells site and looking at tons of pictures of other people's builds. Yours is going to be unique to you, so I would say to go look at some pre-built options at gun shops or go shoot with some friends. The options are endless!

You're going to have a lot of fun building one up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom