Next gun. Polymer or 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll say it first, buy both!

Now the real question is which to acquire first?
My vote would be an M&P first. Buy something decent you are happy to keep for the future. If you have relatively lean hands, a glock 19 can be a pretty good choice. If you have fat hands (like me), go straight to an M&P and don't look at the glock offerings....

1911s were designed when it was common for a pistol to be hand fitted before sale (cheap labor and high machining costs). You may find a budget 1911 is not what you want for the long term. With any kind of hand fitting, it will not be cheap, but a good 1911 is a dream to shoot... I know, I'm not helping much.

If money is tight, get a decent polymer pistol first. They were designed to work well without a lot of hand fitting.

I own and carry both at times so it's hard for me to be biased to one side or the other....

If you find something that works very well, KEEP IT!

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 19.... Enough said.

I have been thinking this would be my poly of choice for a while now. I do like the looks of the m&p better but that's hardly a qualifying factor when it comes to picking this type of gun.

As far as 1911's go I'd probably be limited to a mis-spec, gi, RIA, or maybe Para. Rather stick with a well known maker though so RIA or Taurus would be near the bottom of my list.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been thinking this would be my poly of choice for a while now. I do like the looks of the m&p better but that's hardly a qualifying factor when it comes to picking this type of gun.

As far as 1911's go I'd probably be limited to a mis-spec, gi, RIA, or maybe Para. Rather stick with a well known maker though so RIA or Taurus would be near the bottom of my list.

Borrow/rent a glock 19. Get a full grip on the pistol then rack the slide. If any of your skin is in contact with the slide, you'll draw blood (seriously) within the first few shots. BTDT I'm although still strangely attracted to a glock 19 (if you could only have 1 centerfire pistol, this has to be among the top 5 choices for concealment and carry).

The M&P has a shield for the web of your hand that glock should have incorporated. You won't draw blood with an M&P....

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to HH and rent the M&P and the G19. I shot both side-by-side and the choice was made very clear to me. I put the MP9 next to several guns there over several weeks. None of them (other than the EMP) shot better or felt better in my hand than the MP9. But, that's just me.

B

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Here, I'll help you out with some eye candy!!!!!
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
In case you want to split it down the middle?!
[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom