Next gun. Polymer or 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I don't really have anything against the plastic framed guns and I don't have any experience with them. I just can't get the idea out of my head wondering about just how long term durable they are. I know they are made out of superwonderbarspaceagehightechpolymer and all that but I've never seen anything made of plastic that doesn't eventually deteriroate with age no matter how good you treat it.
On the other hand I have a couple of guns in my safe made of walnut and steel that are seeing their 3rd century and they are as functional and sound as the day they left Berlin in the 1890s . With a little luck my 1911's and other steel guns can be passed to my children's grand children.

As for the "budget" 1911s you mentioned I have a RIA FS, I paid $399 +tax for it in September. so far it has been rock solid. It gave me fewer break in problems than my Kimber Custom II and it is every bit as accurate. I've probably got fewer than 500 rds. through the RIA, it feeds JHP as reliably as FMJ. What else can you ask for.

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b398_FLHRI_OK_gun_20stuff_NewRIA.jpg

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b398_FLHRI_OK_gun_20stuff_TheFamily.jpg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well ain't you the smartass today!!!!:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

*sigh* Ya see?! :ugh2: There it is again! :oops3:

I'm not trying to be, really I'm not. :anyone:

I really do wanna see some OLD iron and wood! :w000t:

I love to see old guns that have been well used and maintained. Not the rusty old bolt actions that have sat in a corner for a hundred years, but a true work of art that was made by an old man in a leather apron at his workbench BY HAND. A classic firearm with beautiful hand checkering that went on the annual deer hunts and stood up to desperados and injuns (no disrespect intended!) protecting the homestead. I love to see pics of grandpa's old scattergun that he shot and killed a grizzly bear with while on a turkey hunt. That's true Americana right there folks! :patriot:

Such history! If only they could talk. :bowdown:

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I know 1911's are all made on the same platform but I've heard that not all of them can interchange or accept all of the aftermarket parts. For instance: I heard the taurus can accept some aftermarket parts but not all of them. How about the Mil-Specs and the RIAs?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now I know 1911's are all made on the same platform but I've heard that not all of them can interchange or accept all of the aftermarket parts. For instance: I heard the taurus can accept some aftermarket parts but not all of them. How about the Mil-Specs and the RIAs?

Don't know about the IRA's, but the MilSpec's are just that, and will take most GI parts. Contrary to what folks think, there is nothing wrong with the 1911A1 just the way she is. Granted mine is stainless steel, and I only got her that way to keep from having to wipe her down so much, even though I still do(Old habits die hard!!!!!!).

Latest posts

Top Bottom