Next gun. Polymer or 1911?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been thinking this would be my poly of choice for a while now. I do like the looks of the m&p better but that's hardly a qualifying factor when it comes to picking this type of gun.

As far as 1911's go I'd probably be limited to a mis-spec, gi, RIA, or maybe Para. Rather stick with a well known maker though so RIA or Taurus would be near the bottom of my list.

Rock Island is a well known maker and makes a very nice plain vanilla mil-spec.

Listen to the Taurus bashers if you like. But mine gets shot, not as much as I like but quite a bit, at around the 5000 round mark it beat the guide rod apart into 2 pieces. I just replaced it with a more substantial wilsons and have gone on down the road.

Someone asked about parts on the Tauri 1911's, They are basically a series 80, wilsons parts fit em just fine.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rock Island is a well known maker and makes a very nice plain vanilla mil-spec.

Listen to the Taurus bashers if you like. But mine gets shot, not as much as I like but quite a bit, at around the 5000 round mark it beat the guide rod apart into 2 pieces. I just replaced it with a more substantial wilsons and have gone on down the road.

Someone asked about parts on the Tauri 1911's, They are basically a series 80, wilsons parts fit em just fine.

I'm not saying there's anything WRONG with them. It's just if I'm going for a 1911 I'd RATHER have a springfield or a Para or other name I'm more familiar with as a 1911 maker. If the right deal came across the table I'd get a Taurus or a RIA in a heartbeat. They're all made off the same design so differences are meerly in workmanship for the most part. I have nothing bad to say about Taurus. Just got my dad a pt38 and it shot great.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ooooh see I've had nothing but issuers with para, someone here recently said they have returned 3 para's they sold to cutomers back to para for malfunctions.

I like the Taurus, it eats everything I have fed it. Even mixed lots in mags. My only issues other than the recent, guide rod problem were magazine related. CMC powermags fixed that. Don't even mess the wilsons 47D

My wife has a mil-spec sringfield, right around $500 is what we paid for it. good gun for the price as well.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taurus PT1911s have a history of small part problems. They have had a significant number of thumb safeties break or fall out. Olyeller had an ejector fall out into his hand and..... the biggest gripe with me is their hammer lock. Of which there have been reports of this lawyer lock turning the gun into a single shot. No 1911 should have a hammer lock, period, end of story.

Para has even MORE reported proprietary problems than Taurus.

Out of all the guns mentioned if this was used for personal defense and you don't want a polymer gun, then look at the SA Mil-specs (if you can find one) which is a little step up from the GI model. SA uses forgings and RIA uses extrusions. FWIW, lots of smiths use the SA's as base guns.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just had a osa-er's Taurus in my shop. I was impressed by the feel of the trigger, although it still needed some tweaking.
I did tell him Id see him again, depending on how much he shoots it.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say get a metal-framed gun, but don't necessarily get a 1911.

If you're seriously going to get a 1911 to carry, then shoot a bunch of rounds through it before you decide to start carrying it (and no matter what the brand, I'd have a smith go through it and give it the ole' reliability treatment - but that's just me).

I loved my 1911, but the damn thing cost me way too much to shoot it - I loved shooting it, but with me not being a reloader, I just couldn't hang with the cost of .45 ACP ammo. I plan on getting another one, but I'm convinced that they make much more fun "lightened trigger" target shooters than carry guns in my opinion (not knocking anyone who carries one or relies on one for duty).

I'd stick with the afore mentioned CZ P-01 (or go full-on and get an SP-01). ldp4570 needs to stop posting pics of his Hi-Power before I get to the point where I just can't fight the urge anymore and go out and get one for myself - those are beautiful guns man (nice Sig too!).

Other options are the Sig P228 (get an old German gun and you've got some fine craftsmanship there) or even a modern-day 229 or 226.

I've come to figure out that even though I love my plastic guns, I actually end up liking my metal-framed guns more these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom