NICS shutdown?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NICS was "temporarily out of service" for a short time Thursday morning. It was back up and running by 9:30 am or so yesterday. Demand is still stupid-high, wait times are still super long. Keep in mind, too, that different states handle background checks differently, and in some states, government offices may be closed because of the virus, which could cause some problems with the processing of background checks.
DAMMIT RON!!! You need to fix this ASAP!!!! :drunk5:

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got this email from NICs on 3/17 . . . but nothing since.

Good Morning,

As the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Section works through the impact of the COVID-19 operationally, we are working to maintain our services. We are aware that states may be considering options to protect the health and safety of their employees, which may include a reduction in office availability or even closure to some offices.

Should a state choose to limit their days of operation or close state offices, this could potentially impact the Brady Transfer Date (BTD) by changing the time in which an FFL can legally transfer a firearm in a delayed status. The NICS Section urges FFLs to be cognizant of the impact this may have to your day-to-day operations, and also to stress the importance of adhering to the BTD that is provided to you at the time a transaction is put into a Delay status. The Brady Act does not federally prohibit an FFL from transferring a firearm after the third business day expires, even if the NICS Section has been unable to provide a proceed response, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(1).

We appreciate your patience and partnership during this critical time and potential impact to NICS operations.

NICS Business Relations Team

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just ordered a Walther PPQ M2. Hope @ratski doesnt have a problem with this when he gets it
($410 with LE discount)

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

NICS is taking stupid long times. I'm getting everything back as "Delayed".

Other problem is that as a dentist, they basically have me shut down.
I'll be in and out of the office but we are only seeing emergency patients.
All routine dental work is cancelled "until further notice"
Had to lay off entire staff to get them on unemployment.
They told us initially two weeks and then jumped it to three.
In at least two States, the State Health Departments have shut dental offices "until further notice"

This all sucks "bigly"

Dave

Latest posts

Top Bottom