Nightforce for BAS-K .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I recently bought a Savage BAS-K .308 now it needs glass! ive been told you cannot beat the Nightforce NXS 12x42x56. Any other Ideas? Im okay with saving money but I want HIGH quality optics. should i stay with the NXS?

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put a scope on 12x and go shoot with it then ask yourself if you want an optic that goes no lower than that, the NXS 5-25 is more than adequate for most applications.

I hope this helps and now you have to post some pics and groups...

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I completely understand your point and it makes sense i failed to mention that 500 yards is the shortest distance to be shot except for finding a zero.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NightForce is real hard to beat an they hold their value very well.

I would still go with what Sharkbait says. 12 is pretty darn high to start with especially for a quality piece of glass.

Put a scope on 12x and go shoot with it then ask yourself if you want an optic that goes no lower than that, the NXS 5-25 is more than adequate for most applications.

I hope this helps and now you have to post some pics and groups...

I completely understand your point and it makes sense i failed to mention that 500 yards is the shortest distance to be shot except for finding a zero.

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a Zeiss fan. The NF's I have looked at were very nice. I too think 12x on the low end might be a little much but if its a one purpose rifle/scope combo then it should be ok but hunting would be a PIA.

Dustin

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get the 3.5x15x50 if you want a NF. I don't see the need for higher magnification on a .308. I have one for my 7mm project. My .338 Edge has the 5.5x22, both in R1 ret.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The more magnification you have the less you will see on a hot day with heat shimmers. Thaty is why many military scopes max out around the 10-14X range...after that you just can't see anything due to mirage. I fail to see why anyone would want a huge XX and then not be able to use it except fo a couple months a year...and they are spendy also. I know I have had to turn my 3-9 down on real hot days to shoot prairie dogs because of heat shimmer.

Don't over look Leopold, they still make some darn fine scopes and with a life time warranty for whoever ownes it at the time you just can't go wrong.

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
THANK YOU ALL for the incredibly useful information! with all factors into consideration, i am considering the NF 5.5-22x56, Leupold mark 4, or a huskemaw 5-20x50. any suggestions reguarding these 3 scopes?

Latest posts

Top Bottom