No Craftsman USA tools from TX...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I do put chains on bikes and grain carts and work on sundry farm equipment I have also worked dirt burners, gas co-gen, hydro, nuke as well as pulp through processed fiber. Once upon a time there was a greater disparity in tool companies. Now days with acquisitions, consolidations and overall reallocation of sources it boils down to what best meets your needs. A whole bunch of brands are riding reputations that were gained by folks who have been out of the game for a couple of generations. I’m just glad we aren’t all riding in the same wagon or they would well and truly have us over a barrel. Choices at least create the illusion of a horse race.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been fairly impressed by Kobalt stuff.

Milwaukee's stuff though it's pricey, is quite nice looking. I got a free swivel ratchet set in a special offer with another tool and it's quite nice for what it is. Also bought some shears and am eyeballing some of their plier sets, that look killer.

Somewhere along the way I lost all my SK ratchet sets. Still have all the wrenches though, they'll outlast me for sure.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d put the high end Harbor Freight (can’t remember the brand) against Snap On or Proto now days. When I went to the dues paying side of the millwright world they would give me no end of crap for my entire box not being Proto, Starett, Klein etc.. Now that most of those brands have off shored I just go for the most juice per squeeze and everyone can go suck it. If they want to supply my box I’ll turn whatever wrench they supply
ICON

cmc tom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been fairly impressed by Kobalt stuff.

Milwaukee's stuff though it's pricey, is quite nice looking. I got a free swivel ratchet set in a special offer with another tool and it's quite nice for what it is. Also bought some shears and am eyeballing some of their plier sets, that look killer.

Somewhere along the way I lost all my SK ratchet sets. Still have all the wrenches though, they'll outlast me for sure.
My dad passed an SK wrench set and sockets from the 50's to me. Over 4 decades as a knuckle buster on cranes and heavy equipment. Some got broke, some lost, I'm retired now but they sit in the tool box and the memories call out when I walk by. Started with craftsman for the basics, snap-on and Mac for the specialized tools and as the equipment got bigger. Sold off most of it when I retired. Couldn't pick up half those wrenches now.

hbokc

Marksman
Reaction score
I’m gonna catch a lot of crap for this, but I’m not a big fan of craftsman. Even back in the Sears days. The only thing worth buying was the wrenches. The ratchets and sockets are crap, can’t count how many ratchet gears I’ve stripped out or sockets I’ve cracked. Wasn’t very impressed with the screwdrivers either. Across the board, there are/were better options for anything craftsman sells, at a similar price. And that lifetime warranty doesn’t do you a lot of good when you’re hundreds of miles away from a Sears/Lowe’s or when you can’t afford to put the job on pause because the tool broke.
Have to agree about the ratchets always had issues… but that said… I grew up wrenching my bicycles with my Uncles craftsman tools…He would come home go his shop and yell son of ***** can’t have nothing!!! because we had his tools scattered everywhere… ol the days..

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes some craftsman ratchets were problamatic, they are the ones with the black tab reversing lever, the older ones with the chrome teardrop reversing lever are usually good to go..

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have to agree about the ratchets always had issues… but that said… I grew up wrenching my bicycles with my Uncles craftsman tools…He would come home go his shop and yell son of ***** can’t have nothing!!! because we had his tools scattered everywhere… ol the days..
That’s the way it was around my shop when the kids were young. If I needed a wrench or socket, they would be found in the grass outside the shop door.
Found out buying a cheap china set for them was the ticket while keeping my Proto Professional and snap-on tools under lock and key.

Latest posts

Top Bottom