No more tickets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. If us regular cops come in contact or respond to a crime with indians, we have to notify the Lighthorse. Every since the McGirt law passed, tribes have more or less decided not to hold court nor prosecute offenders.

It's really placed a hardship on every party involved. Us regular cops can't do our job and the Lighthorse are are overworked and everything they do is done in vain.
Unless it has been changed, one can only be arrested for a misdemeanor if it occurs in one's presence, or there is a warrant. What can happen is a "citizen" can detain someone for an offense that occurs in their presence if they turn the offender over to a peace officer as soon as possible.
So, if a non-tribal officer observes a traffic offense and pulls the driver over, upon determining the driver is Native American, (s)he cannot cite the driver but (s)he could do a citizens arrest and they turn the offender over to the tribal authorities.
That's likely too much crap to go through so probably they will just let the driver go.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
This is good news. Now it'll have to be appealed to the supreme court and we'll see if it needs fixing. The law needs to be changed. We didn't win the war to kowtow to the powwows.
chappelle.gif

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
This McGirt bullsheet is starting to cause problems. I know more than a few "good ole boys" that are about ready to play a few more rounds of "Cowboys and Indians".
If the government doesn't prosecute the criminals and protect the citizenry eventually the citizenry will say enough is enough and take matters into their own hands.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Believe me, I know.
Unless it has been changed, one can only be arrested for a misdemeanor if it occurs in one's presence, or there is a warrant. What can happen is a "citizen" can detain someone for an offense that occurs in their presence if they turn the offender over to a peace officer as soon as possible.
So, if a non-tribal officer observes a traffic offense and pulls the driver over, upon determining the driver is Native American, (s)he cannot cite the driver but (s)he could do a citizens arrest and they turn the offender over to the tribal authorities.
That's likely too much crap to go through so probably they will just let the driver go.

70981975.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's called officer discretion. Sometimes it's better just to handle things thataway than just hauling someone off to jail or giving them a ticket that more than likely isn't going to get paid anyway.

Mrs. GED says it's because we're on our way to the donut shop.
Or a Code 100!

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
This McGirt bullsheet is starting to cause problems. I know more than a few "good ole boys" that are about ready to play a few more rounds of "Cowboys and Indians".
If the government doesn't prosecute the criminals and protect the citizenry eventually the citizenry will say enough is enough and take matters into their own hands.
I'm your hucklebearer.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wait until the tribes want their land back. Then the real fun starts. Oklahoma will basically cease to exist.

I never will understand how McGirt applies to criminal matters but not civil. In our time it's only indian land when crimes are committed by indians. Otherwise it's not indian land. :screwy:

Latest posts

Top Bottom