Non-resident permit benefits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Kenney

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of my fellow Okies have bothered to obtain non-resident permits from other states, and what the benefits are of them. It seems that a Pennsylvania permit is easy and cheap to get, but I can't see that it adds any territory where I can't already carry with my Oklahoma license. Anyone?

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Utah is another easy non-resident to get. The biggest benefit I see is if you move out of oklahoma, the non-resident is still valid. With an Okie license, if you move out of state, is void.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you travel to nevada although you're good travel through the surrounding states Nevada does not recognize oklahoma's permit, they will recognize the Utah Non resident. The Drawback is some states won't recognize a non resident permit, Florida being the first one that comes to mind.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you travel to nevada although you're good travel through the surrounding states Nevada does not recognize oklahoma's permit, they will recognize the Utah Non resident. The Drawback is some states won't recognize a non resident permit, Florida being the first one that comes to mind.

actually, I think nevada recently changed that and no longer accepts utah.

Colorado doesn't accept non-resident, Kansas didn't, but they recently changed it and they now accept the utah non-resident.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

According to http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/utah.pdf the Utah permit no longer is good for Nevada; this change is recent.

UT does not issue permits that are specifically non-resident. Those who live outside of UT get the same permit that UT residents get. However some states do not honor permits if the individual cannot prove residency (drivers license) of that same state issuing the permit. http://www.handgunlaw.us/ shows the "yellow" states that do not honor permits of this type.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Colorado doesn't accept non-resident, Kansas didn't, but they recently changed it and they now accept the utah non-resident.

KS is pretty notorious about changing their mind about things CCW. The OK permit is recognized by KS and was one of the first they did recognize. KS has their Attorney General doing the permit vetting; they seem tied up with a formal state-to-state letter of reciprosity as a pre-condition of KS recognition.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I just went and looked at Nevada's website I stand corrected. No reason for me to get Utah Non resident then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom