Water well/pump pressure question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with water pressure at my rural property. The system has always worked, but it has never had great pressure.

Currently we pump water (for handwashing, camping showers and general use outside only) via an approximately 50 foot long tube routed to the deep part of our spring-fed pond. The pump and 5 gallon pressure tank which is charged to 32 PSI per the specs in the pump's instruction manual is located a couple of feet above the normal water line at the edge of the pond and the check valve at the end of the tube is less than six feet below the water surface so effectively we have the equivalent of a water well that is less than 10 feet deep. The pump then pushes the water up the hill, an approximately fifteen foot rise in elevation for about 40 feet into a small shed where we have all of our plumbing connections.

When the pump has been sitting and is fully charged to its maximum 50 PSI we get decent/acceptable pressure at the shower head. As the shower runs, the pump pressure decreases to and comes on again at about 30 PSI. By this time, the shower flow has, of course, become unacceptably weak. In addition to 30 PSI just being pretty low for a shower, the problem is exacerbated by our filter system for which the specs state needs at least 40 PSI to push water through the filters effectively.

Our goal here is a nice 40-50 PSI shower for 10-15 minutes at a time. In addition to losing pressure in our filter (especially below 40 PSI) we know we lose a lot of pressure from the rise from the pump to our building so my thought is to have a supply of water in the building to "get us started". Is that a logical thought and if so what is the best way to do it? I have a couple of ideas but I'd like to get some feedback (or a better but different idea) from anyone in the know:

Our first thought was one of these pressure tanks that have an inflated bladder inside. Some of them spec up over 100 PSI, but I've also read that they need to match the PSI of the lowest output of the pump. I figure that could be solved by a check valve between the original pump/pressure tank and the proposed new pressure tank. I just can't exactly wrap my head around how that would work.

My second thought was for a pressure-less system where our existing pump and pressure tank would fill a holding tank toward the top (but with enough room until "overflow" so that the inlet would eventually be underwater. We would then have an outlet toward the bottom of the tank that would feed a 50 PSI (or so) constant flow pump. There would be less distance, and virtually no rise and enough PSI to push the water through our filtering system. A secondary benefit would be that we could put a time-release chlorine float in the top to help out further with the cleanliness of the water and possibly even give the filter some relief.

I'm leaning toward the second idea at this point as it would be cheaper, easier to maintain and seems to have benefits that a pressure tank system would not, but I'm also looking for an even better idea if anyone has one.

Thanks in advance for any expertise you may share.

Bryan

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the air pressure in your tank empty should not be 32 psi. you need to establish how much capacity your well pump has in GPM. a 20/40 pumptrol pressure switch with the tank pressure properly adjusted should be all you nneed as long as your pump will lift at a gpm rate that exceeds your demand.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have missed it in your explanation, but why don't you just swap out your pressure switch to a 40/60psi one? Seems like this would solve your issues...

Good luck!

The pump we bought is rated up to 50 PSI (30/50) of course that may be a "CYA" thing on their part. I see where one can get a higher rated pressure switch but this weekend when we were looking did not see any pumps that are rated above 30/50.

In the past on another pump we've also tried raising the 30/50 up and then the lower range to never go below 40 but the result always seems to be a pump that will not ever turn off for some reason. We've adjusted many of those over the years with the same results so not sure what we're doing wrong.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, they are adjustable for make and break by lowering the differential as well.

In the last 20 years I have had at least three pumps and probably close to a dozen pressure switches and have never gotten one to adjust like they say they will. The result is always turning the knobs do nothing until the switch won't cut on at all or if it does cut on will not cut off. From the instructions one should be able to make a 40/60 or a 04/50 from the 30/50 ones that are readily available but in my experience they just don't work that way.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the air pressure in your tank empty should not be 32 psi. you need to establish how much capacity your well pump has in GPM. a 20/40 pumptrol pressure switch with the tank pressure properly adjusted should be all you nneed as long as your pump will lift at a gpm rate that exceeds your demand.

I misspoke. 32 psi was the tank that we replaced with the pump and tank this weekend. The new pump/tank says to inflate the bladder to 28 psi (2 psi short of its lower limit) and came pre-inflated that way.) I've thought about inflating it to like 45 psi anyway to see if it helps but if it was something worth trying I would think it would say so in the manual. Maybe.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of pump?
How is it installed to keep sand & mud from being pumped into system?
What is the diameter of the tubing?
Install ball valves around Filter to see if that works.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
look at pump specs? 15 foot rise is a 15 foot head in pump specs sheet check pump flow chart and see what the spec in gpm and pressure at 15 foot head. take the filter off of the pressure side and get one rated for the intake instead. also the diameter of your supply line from the pump to the shed needs to probably be at least 1.5 inches. when i replace a pressure switch i usually just cycle the pump and adjust the low side tank pressure to 2 psi above the factory setting.....easyier than fooling with the switch in my opinion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom