Non-resident permit benefits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Florida non-res. No new class required if you have proof of training and you swear that you read the Florida rules. I think the total cost was $117.

I got the Florida permit prior to moving to OK, because my old California permit became invalid the minute I gave up CA residency, and I knew that it would take a few months to get an OK permit issued. I also wanted coverage for all the states I traveled through last spring. FLA did the trick, and it will still be good if I ever relocate out of OK. I expect I will renew it when it expires in another five years or so.

Even though I had FLA, which is recognized here, I wanted to get an OK permit. I figured its a good thing to let the local politicos that there is another voter out here who cares about this stuff. I also figured that if OK ever changes its mind about FLA being recognized, I already had it covered.

jej

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Florida non-res. No new class required if you have proof of training and you swear that you read the Florida rules. I think the total cost was $117.

. . .

I figured its a good thing to let the local politicos that there is another voter out here who cares about this stuff. I also figured that if OK ever changes its mind about FLA being recognized, I already had it covered.

jej

My bet is that OK won't change its mind about recognition. What is happening is that the "yellow" states http://www.handgunlaw.us/ are becoming more common and that situation is fluid. KS was a "yellow" state just a few months ago. SC, MI & ME are recent "yellows" if memory serves.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went non resident due to cost primarily, there are tons of reasons, I do find it odd that Florida issues a non resident permit but doesn't recognize on resident permits.

Will I add an Oklahoma permit, or any other permits? yes. Do I need them right now? No

Wes Kenney

Marksman
Reaction score
I was mainly curious about the benefit for someone like myself who already holds an Oklahoma license. I guess that, other than being covered in a move, there is none. Is that the consensus, or am I missing something?

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was mainly curious about the benefit for someone like myself who already holds an Oklahoma license. I guess that, other than being covered in a move, there is none. Is that the consensus, or am I missing something?

I am unsure of any states you would gain, certainly wouldn't lose any. Handy to have just in case (such as an accidental expiration, or renewal delayed).

But overall yeah not much to gain

OologahBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As of a couple years ago I don't know if it is still he same but Arkansas did not recognize Oklahoma CCL at least that is what an officer in clarksville told me. My gun was in a tote in my enclosed trailer and i was in a head on collision when i went to check on everything it trailer the cop was standing there when i opened the door and the gun fell out of the broken tote he said he was just informing me not to wear it since the truck was totaled and I had to leave on my Harley that was in the traler

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
KS is pretty notorious about changing their mind about things CCW. The OK permit is recognized by KS and was one of the first they did recognize. KS has their Attorney General doing the permit vetting; they seem tied up with a formal state-to-state letter of reciprosity as a pre-condition of KS recognition.

Reciprocity is not required for Kansas to honor OOS CHL's. Kansas recognizes states that have requirements similar to or greater than what they have, even if the other state does not honor Kansas permits. For example, Kansas honored Nebraska permits even though Nebraska did not honor any other state permits, including Kansas.
Now of course, due to a recent change in the law, Nebraska does honor OOS CHL's including, both Kansas and Oklahoma.

Latest posts

Top Bottom