"Not responsible for vehicle damage" signs on trucks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's pure BS. A golfball-size rock flew out of one of these "marked" haulers and it was on an Interstate. I wasn't even in his lane behind him. What? Is everyone, in every lane, on the Interstate not supposed to pass his slow moving @ss?!? I got his plate number, company name & phone number, filed a police report and then called the company. They were more than happy to come replace my windsheild after I gave them the police report number.

Oh, and Wal-Mart has these same signs about not being responsible for damage to your car from shopping carts. They paid for the body work on my truck after one rolled down a giant hill in their parking lot putting a huge dent in my door. The cart "corral" was at the top of this hill with no metal lip to keep the carts corralled in. Pictures were worth a thousand bucks on that one.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am on my fifth windshield. Four destroyed windshields between the airport and Owasso due to construction and trucks from the rock quarry on 169. The fifth windshield was just put on due to a lone freak hailstone that literally came out of nowhere. It has nothing to do with how close I drive to the trucks because I stay the hell away from them!

Owning a Jeep Wrangler you get use to this but DANG!

$265 out the door at Robinson Glass for a slightly tinted unit. They need one of those punch cards so I can eventually get a free one.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite truck sign.

ai479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_Graphics_Tailgate1.jpg

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same thing goes for people that do not clear the snow and ice from their vehicles then say they are not responsible for the damage to your car when the 200 pound sheet comes flying off of their vehicle.

Ultimately you can put all the signs in the world on your vehicle, if it falls off of your vehicle then it is your responsibility for the repairs to the other damaged vehicles.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always taken the sign to mean that if you follow at too close a distance, YOU are responsible for the consequences of that decision. It does not apply if you are doing the right thing, and staying back the recommended distance.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I miss living in FL. Windshield glass replaced free, your insurance is billed. My rates never went up.

Same thing in SC. You're allowed 2 free windshields a year, and IIRC it didn't even get billed to your insurance.

I did watch a funny last month though. I was going to Tulsa Tech BA on 169 South. Left lane had been slow as hell or awhile, and after moving past the BA Expressway exit, saw a panel truck with a load of gravel move over a lane. I'll usually give dump trucks and semi's credit for at least having sides, but this guy just had side panels on a flat bed with a load of gravel, no rear panels, and no tarp. Of course blowing gravel all over 3 lanes at 60 mph.

He got in the center lane, and a little bit later got in the right lane. . .immediately in front of an OHP car. Needless to say, that lasted about 10 seconds and he got pulled over.

Like I said, I'll give the dump truck and semi dumpers their share of space, although I don't understand why most(not all) won't take the few minutes to roll their tarps over when it's clear they have them.

I also don't understand the harsh requirements that make them have to come off the side roads onto 46th N without stopping. If there's a long line of traffic you're going to have to stop; if there's a short line of traffic you're more than likely going to have to stop.

I know it must suck to get one of those loaded trucks up to speed, but I'd give you a crapload more patience to sit behind you coming up to speed from a dead stop than if you run out in the road at 25 when I'm doing 65 and half a mile away. . .

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda like those signs that tell employees to wash their hands before returning to work.

I get what you're getting at, but not a perfect analogy.

The signs carry no weight against the employee. But the Health Department will fine you for not displaying them, even if your food-related business has no employees other than yourself.

Or is that one of those "which inspector did you get today" things?

Latest posts

Top Bottom