NRA/ORA stand on open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot elaborate on a statement that is not mine. If you look at my post it is the statement of a Stanford law professor.

As I said in my post, I do not believe open carry will affect concealed carry laws in Oklahoma; I believe it will cause businesses to start posting no firearm signs on their property.

Michael Brown

I did not misunderstand who made the statement. Maybe I should ask the question a different way. You said

From the atricle quoting Stanford law professor Robert Weisberg: "He says the NRA is uncomfortable with the permissiveness of the open carry movement and may worry it could endanger laws that protect carrying concealed weapons."
I believe this to be a very valid concern.

I get what you are saying about open carry resulting in more businesses restricting firearms therefore placing more restrictions on concealed carriers.

But, what valid concerns do you have about open carry endangering laws that protect concealed weapons?

I too see that some businesses may restrict CC because they do not want open carry in their business. But, I think this is primarily an urban concern and outside of the Tulsa and OKC areas would be for the most part a non issue.

I can't speak for all supporters of open carry but for me HB3354 would have given me more and better options in how I dress while concealing. It would allow me to carry comfortably when working or playing in the country where I live and spend most of my time away from work. Away from home and rural stomping grounds I would not likely ever carry open. But, I would like the option to do around my home what best suits me.

So, to get back to my original post about why the NRA/ORA do not support open carry. What I'm reading on here is that it is the opinion of some that the NRA does not support open carry because it would restrict or hurt conceal carry. Not arguing the point (while it does seem a little to PC) just trying to understand.

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I cannot elaborate on a statement that is not mine. If you look at my post it is the statement of a Stanford law professor.

As I said in my post, I do not believe open carry will affect concealed carry laws in Oklahoma; I believe it will cause businesses to start posting no firearm signs on their property.

Michael Brown
It's a free country they can choose to do so just as we can choose to not patronize such businesses.

jwcoop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
...I did get a request from them in the mail today for money to help them defend the 'Castle Doctrine' in other states.
Let's see, should I send a hefty donation or not?

Fill the postage-paid envelope with lead weights and send it back to them.

I'm joking, but only a little...............

crazy8

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what everyone elses definition of neutral is but when the NRA releases a statement to legislators you don't have to worry about your NRA rating for voteing against the veto override once you've voted for the original bill passage,that tells me they are not on the side of gun owners.Call me crazy but if you aren't with us you are against us, not a lot of wriggle room too be called neutral.

Wind

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what everyone elses definition of neutral is but when the NRA releases a statement to legislators you don't have to worry about your NRA rating for voteing against the veto override once you've voted for the original bill passage,that tells me they are not on the side of gun owners.Call me crazy but if you aren't with us you are against us, not a lot of wriggle room too be called neutral.

That's where we are being shorted from the NRA. They have a "lobbyist" that could care less about Oklahoma who makes those reports to the NRA about ranking legislators. She doesn't know a damn thing about what is going on at the legislature other than reading what is publicly reported. And that is only cursory when it comes to her researching what really happens in the legislature.
I support the NRA but I want my money's worth when it comes to action in this state.
The headquarters in Washington is blind to what is NOT being done in this state as far as legislative efforts by their paid lobbyist.

jwcoop

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the atricle quoting Stanford law professor Robert Weisberg: "He says the NRA is uncomfortable with the permissiveness of the open carry movement and may worry it could endanger laws that protect carrying concealed weapons."

Another quote by Professor Weisberg from that same article:
“The great majority from both political parties don’t want to cross the gun lobby,”

If that's true, the gun lobbies - specifically the NRA and ORA here in Oklahoma - could have been the determining factors in the fate of 3354. I know a number of representatives made a point of stressing their "A" rating with the NRA. And since they knew the NRA would not be rating them on Open Carry, they didn't feel they were "crossing the gun lobby." And they read that right, didn't they? I offer my own representative, Wade Rousselot as an example.

As for your belief that "... it will cause businesses to start posting no firearm signs on their property," I would restate it a bit. It will give an excuse to SOME businesses to do so, but most large retailers, among them Target Corp., Home Depot Inc. and Best Buy Inc., say they follow state and local laws, just as does Starbucks. Those corporations don't care to make an issue of the issue, so to speak. WalMart falls into that same category.

Those of us who support open carry lost this one. I can stand losing, but it hurts more when you lose due to the efforts - or lack of them - of those you've grown to respect.

We'll rise to fight again. And we won't expect any support from those who have proven their sentiments. Personally, I appreciate you, Mr. Brown, for being forthright and non-hypocritical in your position regarding open carry. I'm not so appreciative, however, of various organizations and individuals who don't walk the talk, so to speak.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I believe this to be a very valid concern.

I don't know that it would do anything in terms of state-wide legislative concerns, I believe it would result in more businesses posting their premises as no-gun zones.

Michael Brown

Does this "learned" professor realize that open carry is already there in 43 states in the Union? And it hasn't "endangered concealed carry" in any of those? So where does he or any one else get the theory OC will endanger CC, when the data clearly says otherwise.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spoke with a few legislators and they told me that had HB3354 Open Carry passed, then yes, their plan was to amend the law in the next session or two to eliminate the need for licensing. Then NRA/ORA let us down tremendously.

I would make it a point to hold those legislators to that ... next year we ask for what AZ, AK and VT have.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Name any issue at the US Federal level that does not affect you in Oklahoma.
That's the primary mission of the NRA, not coming to a gun-aware, gun-friendly state like Oklahoma to hold our hand on local issues we should be able to handle ourselves.

Compared to the effort now going on to get the 2A fully incorporated like the other US Constitutional Amendments, our Governor's liberal vetoing hissy fit is way down the list.

We have a question to ask our next candidates for governor: "Will you sign Open Carry?"

Funny... I said just about the same thing on #31 in this thread. You did say it better - well played.

Latest posts

Top Bottom