Nuts & Bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fastenal should have or most any standard fasteners you need. For metric, they may need to order some of the finer thread pitches but they can get that delivered within a day or two. Beware that they're sticklers on shipping charges though.

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i work on cars for a living. i usually go to salvage yards and buy buckets of bolts. i also dismantle cars so i have built up a stock of spare bolts in all common sizes.

i use them alot. i can tell you what size thread pitch a bolt is just by looking at it. i can also tell you what car or part the bolt came from..

youd be surprised how many cars come in that have been previously worked on and are missing bolts.

There are still a few of us mechanics that like to put all the bolts back in your car.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i work on cars for a living. i usually go to salvage yards and buy buckets of bolts. i also dismantle cars so i have built up a stock of spare bolts in all common sizes.

i use them alot. i can tell you what size thread pitch a bolt is just by looking at it. i can also tell you what car or part the bolt came from..

youd be surprised how many cars come in that have been previously worked on and are missing bolts.

There are still a few of us mechanics that like to put all the bolts back in your car.

I still have a bunch of fasteners from a 260Z I dismantled back in the '80's...

Interesting story about cars worked on and fasteners. We took a car to a shop that "makes it look like new" once. I'm one of the few people that will actually take a good look at the work, it seemed when the took it apart they just tossed the fasteners onto the shop floor, then picked up anything they could find to use in its place. They were shocked when I brought it back in and asked for the correct fasteners to be used.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're needing grade 2 or 5, buy them buy the pound someplace. Grade 8 and above you will need to buy individually. I would find a bolt company. (No pun intended) Fastenal may be the place. I use Strange-Jones in Clinton for anything that matters, Atwoods for everyday need, the are less expensive here than Ace or the other lumber yard. The auto parts stores have somethings that are not common.

Latest posts

Top Bottom