Odd 30.06 brass question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have run across something I have never seen before and wonder if anyone might know anything about it. I took in some Greek 30.06 military brass in trade that the guy claimed was once fired, but clearly has resizing marks. The odd thing is when I deprimed it, the brass still has the military primer crimp. Has anyone ever heard of someone resizing a case BEFORE firing it? Maybe they pulled the bullet and dumped the powder for some reason but left the military primer intact?

I plan to trade or sell the brass but I like to tell people what they are getting and this one has me scratching my head.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got pics Rick?

Following your line of thinking, maybe the brass was originally from one of those outfits that disassembles surplus ammo and for some reason this guy was able to get some that had the bullet pulled but still was primed and then he resized without a decapper to set the neck back proper and loaded his own powder and bullets. I just didn't think you could buy the brass with the military primer still intact, but maybe that's the most likely scenario.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
post some pics we just shot a bunch of it this past weekend maybe I can com-pair the 2 then it could be chamber marks as moboost said

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying to take pics but can not get the detail to show.

To me, it really looks like full length resizing marks towards the head of the case, and they look just like the marks left when I resized some for my own use. I did the paper clip test and nothing inside indicates case head separation. Head to shoulder length is in the ball park for fired brass so I do not think it is an improper headspace problem in the rifle that fired them.

I have heard of people pulling the FMC bullets in military rounds and loading sporting bullets, but I have only heard of it in hard to find calibers and never heard of anyone full length resizing them. I will keep trying to get some decent pics and maybe someone can figure this out.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rick, I have bought primed military brass in the past and sized it without the decapper in the die to
make the case mouth conform to standards. As a matter of fact, I just bought a hundred rounds of
50bmg lake city primed brass from midway as blemished brass. They are crimped primers and look
like they just came from the arsenal. A real bargain considering the cost of primers for the big 50. I
will have to size it without the decapper to clean up the case mouths with all the dents they have. I'd
like to see the pictures as well if you can get it to show the detail. I have a couple of hundred rounds
of the greek 30-06 stuff that I originally bought from the CMP. It reloads well. If you decide to part with
some of it, I'm interested, depending on the price or trade. Blitzfike

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blitzfike I got a chance to talk to the guy I got the brass from and he says he pulled the bullets and dumped the powder to load to his favorite hunting round. Told me that he does not have a neck sizing die just a full length so I guess that mystery is solved. Little different to my mind but to each his own.

I have 115 pieces of 30.06 military brass I hope to trade for 357 mag brass but only about half of it is once fired. I will be updating my trade thread in a few minutes. If I can not find a trade I will offer it for sale.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me see what I have in 357 mag. I got a batch of brass cased 357 from a law enforcement buddy several years back
It should be once fired, but who knows. I will look and see what I have. Blitz

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom