Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a pretty good blood trail and your description of his reaction to the shot sounds promising. There looks to be bubbles in the blood which indicates a lung shot, you may have only got one lung or I could have mistook seeing bubbles from the pic. Do you know anybody with a tracking dog????

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot my first buck with a bow today. Nice big bodied 8.

I felt like it was a good hit. Arrow looked good. Great blood trail for the first 60 or so yards then barely a drop. Spent 7 hours looking for him and never found him. Tracked him for approximately 150 to 200 yards through some of the thickest brush and briars this state has to offer. Now I am just sick to my stomach. Can you guys see anything that gives any clues as to what went wrong?
Had the exact same thing happen 6-7 years ago, for the first 50 yards he bled like a faucet, then it just stopped completely. Had a guy bring a dog out to help with the search, no luck. I switched to mechanical broad heads after that and have never had a problem since.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing brisket shot or maybe neck if you hit low and are positive you didn't hit too far back. Any fat or tallow on the arrow?

Looks more like muscle blood than lung. Trail and shot reaction speaks to that as well.

Regardless, try again in the morning. If you lose the trail, or it rains, look and listen for birds. Crows and vultures. Sit for a while. Grid search as the last step.

Sorry, man. Good luck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing brisket shot or maybe neck if you hit low and are positive you didn't hit too far back. Any fat or tallow on the arrow?

Looks more like muscle blood than lung. Trail and shot reaction speaks to that as well.

Regardless, try again in the morning. If you lose the trail, or it rains, look and listen for birds. Crows and vultures. Sit for a while. Grid search as the last step.

Sorry, man. Good luck.

Birds were my go-to at MCAAP a couple of years ago. 5' grass. did a grid pattern for 4 hours and got back into the stand being disgusted with myself, thinking a bad shot.
An hour after getting back into the stand, ravens started flying into the grass where I thought she fell. Walked to the spot, and found her. I'd walked within 3' a couple of times in my grid search.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've found several deer by following birds over the years. Some not our kills (neighbors).

My buddy found his gun buck last year by sitting in the stand the next morning and listening for crows. Walked right to it.

garret01

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That kind of thing does make you sick. Hope you find him.

I was granted access to my Creek County spot about three weeks ago. It's all super overgrown, so I had to clear some brush/paths etc. seeing tracks, but it's hard to stay motivated when all I have on cam is one doe in two weeks time ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom