Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Deer pic of the year?????

I'm cruising down the road, see this doe feeding along the edge of grass............figure what the hay, I'll see if she'll let me take her pic. I stop, roll the window down, get ready to press the pic button and notice the truck in the background, hunters loading up to leave not 200y away........classic!

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20151123_084222_zps9izwbiqe.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar experience like Erick, but i never found him :(

A nice buck came running right at me, stopped 15 yards from me. I was on the ground. His body was turned but not completely broad side. I knew he would bolt any second. I shot a 12 gauge slug, he jumped and ran off. I saw a red impact point as he ran off. I though i was good. I wait, then check the area of impact. almost no blood. Then i checked where he landed after his first jump, found some bone, muscle, muscle blood, and what looked like heart or lung blood (it was very pink, not dark like the muscle blood). I was lucky to have a buddy with me that helped me find the evidence. So, we kept tracking, very little blood, and mostly muscle blood. A bad sign.

Then I saw him, he had circled around and come up from behind where i was sitting. He was limping bad. I throw up the slug gun but he had turned and was walking away. I thought "texas bullseye". Never got a clear shot. So we wait some more, figuring he might lay down and die. We looked, and nothing.... then about 300 yards from where i saw him last, I sprang him. He was laying behind some brush. He ran just fine (no limp). Then disappeared. I thought FUUUUUU%k! I need to shoot him again!
Never saw him again. Looked for hours that day, and the next. Nothing. Im sick to my stomach knowing he's probably not dead but has a shattered shoulder.
Lesson1: Don't hasten the shot just cause you think he saw you! I should have neck shot him instead of going for broadside!
Lesson2: if you see him again. Shoot him again!

Very hard to swallow for me. I feel ashamed, and it weighed on me when I was in the stand the next time. I passed up a shooter with a messed up rack although he was broadside. There was a little brush between him and me.

I always hear stories like this. Never thought I would be the one telling it.

Was it pink frothy blood? I'm betting the last one you saw bolt was not the one shot. No need to feel bad. It happens.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was it pink frothy blood? I'm betting the last one you saw bolt was not the one shot. No need to feel bad. It happens.

Yes, pink and frothy. Just 5 drops or so. A second buck did cross my mind. I did not find any blood in the area he was bed down. I thought the wound likely clogged. Ill have to look again. I'll be out nearby tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom