Official 2015-2016 deer hunting season discussion thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got out this morning. Not much moving right at first light. Around 8am a nice bunch of does filtered into the food plot. Picked out the biggest, and she went down without taking another step.
Since there were still deer in the area, stayed in the stand. 9am saw a big body and antlers in the wheat field. Range finder said 433 yds. He was moving away, and I shoot at 300 yds on a regular basis, so took the shot aiming 2" above the back with the .243WSSM. He never took another step. Okie4570 was in the area and was kind enough to stop and take some pics.
Doe was 112lbs, and the buck was 182.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, pink and frothy. Just 5 drops or so. A second buck did cross my mind. I did not find any blood in the area he was bed down. I thought the wound likely clogged. Ill have to look again. I'll be out nearby tomorrow.

That's lung blood. Lungs don't stop bleeding, especially if you saw bone matter. I'm betting the deer is dead, and you just haven't found it. I searched for hours once, finding her under a brush pile. She had crawled under it to escape. Look in places you don't think a deer can go. Make a pattern, search it two different directions.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis,
I hate to say it's about time, but....:wink2:

Congrats on what should be a great eating nanny and a really nice buck!!!:thumb:

Heck of a shot and that's a nice buck! Congrats Dennis!
You ought to have the freezers full.

I don't get any meat from those deer. All donated to my Sister and a couple of her friends. One of her friends cannot eat beef port or chicken without breaking out in hives.

She can eat all the deer she wants, so my sis hooked her up with me. Been supplying her with red meat for 15 or so years now.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Way to go Dennis I have never shot a doe and buck on the same sit before. That's heck of good buck I like the little curly cue point. Do you have cam pics or was it a neighbors buck ? I like the deer loader also. As I mention in a post on another thread its hard when you get older you cant due the things you could do when younger and for me this is one of them I never can remember to fix me something up to load deer up until its deer season. Congrats on the double and thanks for sharing pics with us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom