OFFICIAL January '16 AR15 build party thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The 4-40 is for the hole at the back of the receiver, holds in the spring and plunger for the take down pin. Makes it much easier to change stocks. The 8-32 is for the hole under the pistol grip, secures the spring and plunger for the safety. It's not as much of a pain as the take down pin.

We've done the .05 trigger job as well, what I found is there seems to be some inconsistency on the thread pitch of the grip screw, so it's always good to check your screw before you buy the set screw, and tap if needed.

The only reason I would consider tapping the selector detent hole would be if I used the grip screw / set screw method of trigger adjustment. If you use one of these it's not necessary to remove the grip to adjust the trigger.
nebula_wsimg_com_401e1ce99d09b98d1f7f3c64a1bec4e0_f1192e5081c81ae5827fdfec586a4bd1._.jpg

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If we're going to be doing trigger adjustment/work, we should make sure someone brings a hammer block so we can test fire without having to hold the hammer every time.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thought the handy dandy carry with you hammer block was your thumb nail :)
I wasn't looking to do any mods to my FBT 5.56 but y'all got me thinking about the trigger and detent mods now. Hmmm

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we're going to be doing trigger adjustment/work, we should make sure someone brings a hammer block so we can test fire without having to hold the hammer every time.

Never used one of these... I always just hold my finger in front of the hammer when I drop it.

Has anyone you know of ever broken a lower by dropping the hammer on the lower? I've heard of it... thought it might be one of those "possibilities" that is theoretical.

Should I mention....

headspace gauges???

:scream::scream::scream::scream:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Never used one of these... I always just hold my finger in front of the hammer when I drop it.

Has anyone you know of ever broken a lower by dropping the hammer on the lower? I've heard of it... thought it might be one of those "possibilities" that is theoretical.

I do too, but it would nice to be able to just pull the trigger and not have to worry about the hammer falling.

As far as the effect; the steel hammer falling on the aluminum lower WILL peen the lower. A random impact here or there shouldn't be a problem, but repeated strikes will. I've not experienced or seen a lower damaged beyond use in person though. However, I have no desire to either! I don't know what the effect would be: cracking, mushrooming, bending, but it wouldn't take that many impacts to start deforming the aluminum.

Headspace... well, I'll just pretend I didn't see that!

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My lower vise block has a hammer pin to allow you to test the trigger.

I hate the sound of the hammer hitting the lower, especially when doing trigger work, hitting it over, and over.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll try to make it. I have a couple lowers that need building and at least one parts kit. Need to get a lower together to send to Franklin for a binary trigger! 😃

Latest posts

Top Bottom