OFFICIAL January '16 AR15 build party thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a laser thingiemabob you load in the barrel like ammo that we can use. Boresighter, that's it. lol I have another one for various sizes of rifle that inserts the end of the barrel, too. You change out rubber o-rings for different calibers. I'll have to look and find both of them, but that shouldn't be too hard. Would love to get some boresighting done, too. Come springtime I'm gonna have to take some of these rifles I'm accumulating out and break them in. lol

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a laser thingiemabob you load in the barrel like ammo that we can use. Boresighter, that's it. lol I have another one for various sizes of rifle that inserts the end of the barrel, too. You change out rubber o-rings for different calibers. I'll have to look and find both of them, but that shouldn't be too hard. Would love to get some boresighting done, too. Come springtime I'm gonna have to take some of these rifles I'm accumulating out and break them in. lol

As long as that laser thingiemabob shoots a straight line and not one as crooked as an old politician we should be good, LOL.

Gosh I think it comes from that heart that we will all just feel sooo bad for you having to break those rifles in. If it's too much work you could always just have someone else do it. I will be first to volunteer, so everyone else just has to fall in line.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as that laser thingiemabob shoots a straight line and not one as crooked as an old politician we should be good, LOL.

Gosh I think it comes from that heart that we will all just feel sooo bad for you having to break those rifles in. If it's too much work you could always just have someone else do it. I will be first to volunteer, so everyone else just has to fall in line.

That's what happens with a bad case of tha BRD. :(

Someday I'll seek treatment... maybe.

}BuLL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will actually be in Tulsa that day I may have to stop by just to say hi

Sent from my tree stand.

Me too! :cool:

I plan to bring a box of parts that will hopefully end up as a shooter. Need to get a gas block yet...
Newbie alert....building an upper and lower for the first time.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was just looking at one of my Anderson stripped lowers and remembered that the grip screw threading is not complete. Started looking to pick up a tap and then remembered I had bought one for a project ten or twelve years ago that may just be the right size. Aaaannnddd it is so if anyone wants to the the nickel trigger job and has one of the lowers that is not threaded all the way we can tap the threads and have you ready. I will let everyone know if I will definitely be there by the evening of the 14th. Just pick up a 1/4 X 28 set screw and you may want a 3/4 inch 1/4 x 28 cap screw to replace the 1 inch one.

On a side note from what I am reading the lowers that are not threaded all the way MAY have an issue with the standard 1 inch cap screw for the grip. It seems like they may have stopped the threading at different points which could interfere.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me too! :cool:

I plan to bring a box of parts that will hopefully end up as a shooter. Need to get a gas block yet...
Newbie alert....building an upper and lower for the first time.

Well, if you bring all the parts you need, we'll make certain you get a functioning rifle put together. :D I'll try to put together a comprehensive list today of all the parts needed, unless someone knows of a link to one already. I'm sure there are plenty, but I don't know.

Was just looking at one of my Anderson stripped lowers and remembered that the grip screw threading is not complete. Started looking to pick up a tap and then remembered I had bought one for a project ten or twelve years ago that may just be the right size. Aaaannnddd it is so if anyone wants to the the nickel trigger job and has one of the lowers that is not threaded all the way we can tap the threads and have you ready. I will let everyone know if I will definitely be there by the evening of the 14th. Just pick up a 1/4 X 28 set screw and you may want a 3/4 inch 1/4 x 28 cap screw to replace the 1 inch one.

On a side note from what I am reading the lowers that are not threaded all the way MAY have an issue with the standard 1 inch cap screw for the grip. It seems like they may have stopped the threading at different points which could interfere.

Good point, NightShade... I will try to stop by Lowe's and pick up a packet of the set screws AND the cap screws... so we have plenty. Is that for sure the size? Don't I need another measurement, too? Don't they come in like... #8 or #10 3/4" 1/2x28? Suppose I could pull one off one of my rifles and take it with me... Please bring your tap, for sure.

I love my Battle Arms Development lower receiver... has a set screw bolt catch pin and a set screw takedown spring setup. Soooo nice. Wonder if we could convert some lowers by tapping those holes and putting in specific-sized set screws, too?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The Bolt catch threading might be a little more difficult to do by hand, but the takedown hole should be pretty easy. IIRC, #4-40 is the right thread size for that.

tr, threads are designated by a "size" and "pitch", or in the case of US (SAE) threads, a threads per inch "tpi".

size-tpi
#4-40
#8-32
#10-32
1/4-28

So for the thread size NightShade mentioned, the only other information you need is the length.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Bolt catch threading might be a little more difficult to do by hand, but the takedown hole should be pretty easy. IIRC, #4-40 is the right thread size for that.

tr, threads are designated by a "size" and "pitch", or in the case of US (SAE) threads, a threads per inch "tpi".

size-tpi
#4-40
#8-32
#10-32
1/4-28

So for the thread size NightShade mentioned, the only other information you need is the length.

Gotcha... I was thinking there was an additional. It's early, no coffee... and I'm not that bright by nature, anyways. lol

I'll pick up some of the necessary set screws and cap screws for the grip/trigger reset. I might look into a tap for the takedown hole. I am assuming we would need either shorter springs or a way to cut the springs easily without damaging them. I don't worry too much about the bolt catch, it's not like you ever remove that once you put it on... but the takedown being associated with the receiver end plate is sometimes a PITA.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Gotcha... I was thinking there was an additional. It's early, no coffee... and I'm not that bright by nature, anyways. lol

I'll pick up some of the necessary set screws and cap screws for the grip/trigger reset. I might look into a tap for the takedown hole. I am assuming we would need either shorter springs or a way to cut the springs easily without damaging them. I don't worry too much about the bolt catch, it's not like you ever remove that once you put it on... but the takedown being associated with the receiver end plate is sometimes a PITA.

Meh, different areas of study. I'm mechanical, so screwy knowledge is my area. LOL!

Agreed. There are a couple of manufacturers that thread the rear takedown pin hole from the factory. Aero Precision being one. I tried finding one, but no one locally that I found stocked them.

Volmarr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 4-40 tap and some screws. I was planning on doing this to a couple of my rifles. I will bring my tap and left over screws. Should have about 5 left over. I just finished my aero precision m5 ar10 (sorry couldn't wait) and it had the bolt catch and rear takedown threaded so I looked into doing it on my others.

Latest posts

Top Bottom