OFFICIAL January '16 AR15 build party thread!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No problem man. I just picked up a 4-40 tap and what few 1/4-28 set screws they had. Had nothing in 1/4-28 cap screws, so I'm gonna order some stuff on Amazon to be here in time...

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a newbie to building the black rifle so I plan on being there and see what I can learn.
I've assembled a couple lowers and I would like to get the set screw mods added to them.
I can bring some roll pin punches if anyone needs them, I also have a Geissele Suppressor Alignment Rod if you need to check your bore to suppressor.

Shodown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might be able to come. I have an armorer's wrench, stock wrench, 2 vice blocks (mag well block and upper receiver block) torque wrench (calibrated), sockets, torx bits, a couple hex bit sets etc. I don't need to build anything but I've built a lot of ARs and can help some peeps put theirs together. Again, it's a maybe but I'll try to be there.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got close to 100 of the set screws for the take down pin, and safety, I also have the taps. I'll provide the screws if you guys don't have them already.

I also have a media blast cabinet for anyone that wants to blast something, I'm a couple of miles from the build site.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome, man. I was gonna order some. You're talking the tiny ones for the takedown spring hole, right? I got... I think 8 or so for the grip screw. I haven't researched that mod much, but my understanding is you put the set screw in the pistol grip hole and run it up so it protrudes into the receiver and affects the trigger travel and reset?

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome, man. I was gonna order some. You're talking the tiny ones for the takedown spring hole, right? I got... I think 8 or so for the grip screw. I haven't researched that mod much, but my understanding is you put the set screw in the pistol grip hole and run it up so it protrudes into the receiver and affects the trigger travel and reset?

That is correct, lock the hammer back and slowly screw it in until it trips the hammer, then back it out half to a full turn (or until it functions reliably).
This is where I sound like a broken record with the lock tight, if it goes too far in the trigger will not reset (I had to push the trigger forward) and you cannot engage the safety.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The 4-40 is for the hole at the back of the receiver, holds in the spring and plunger for the take down pin. Makes it much easier to change stocks. The 8-32 is for the hole under the pistol grip, secures the spring and plunger for the safety. It's not as much of a pain as the take down pin.

We've done the .05 trigger job as well, what I found is there seems to be some inconsistency on the thread pitch of the grip screw, so it's always good to check your screw before you buy the set screw, and tap if needed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom