Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t forget liquor stores not suffering. I stopped by my liquor store this morning and the wine aisles are starting to look like Walmart TP aisle.

Yep. There was a Campbell's Soup commercial a few years ago with mom in the grocery store and the small children were cutting up. She was buying some canned soup when the weather forecast called for a blizzard with the roads to become impassible, etc. And then mom reaches over and puts a bottle of wine in the shopping cart.

I thought, one bottle won't do much good if it's really a blizzard.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
China was lax in getting started on serious quarantine and other measures so 8 weeks. Japan had half that time before things returned to normal or mostly all clear status. Japan was more proactive.
From what I understand, the "common sense" cleanliness measures (like regularly sanitizing "high touch" surfaces in public areas) and social distancing (e.g, bowing instead of shaking hands) were standard practice in Japan before COVID-19. If you're already doing the things that limit the spread of diseases in general, that's going to put you steps ahead in a pandemic.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I’ve hear, they are doing triage and the reason we (the US) should take social distancing seriously. If it hits hard at one time we overload our medical system (a la what is happening in Italy). We won’t have enough icu beds or ventilators to go around. Then we will have to choose who gets to use them.

social distancing slows infection rates and spreads the burden on the system out while there is still time.
From what I've read (and its danged hard to know what to trust these days), COVID-19 hits the elderly disproportionately harder than other age groups, so it probably doesn't help that Italy has the third highest median age in Europe (behind Monaco and Germany).

Interestingly, Japan's median age is older than Italy's, but their natural social distancing and (reported) cleanliness in public spaces has to help offset that. I wonder if that latter part is (at least part of) why Germany isn't in as far behind the 8-ball as Italy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've read (and its danged hard to know what to trust these days), COVID-19 hits the elderly disproportionately harder than other age groups, so it probably doesn't help that Italy has the third highest median age in Europe (behind Monaco and Germany).

Interestingly, Japan's median age is older than Italy's, but their natural social distancing and (reported) cleanliness in public spaces has to help offset that. I wonder if that latter part is (at least part of) why Germany isn't in as far behind the 8-ball as Italy.
It's been awhile since I was in Japan, but there was zero social distancing. Walking the streets in Tokyo was a shoulder to shoulder experience and riding the subways were nothing less than being packed in like sardines. Yes, they bow.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huh. They oughtta be shot. :bah:

The authorities, that is... not the 80yr olds.
:drunk2:

It’s not due to callousness but rather to limited resources. It’s the sort of dilemma no one who practices medicine ever wants to be forced into but sadly it’ can happen when you have more patients than beds.

Don’t think for a second that we are somehow above this. worst case scenario happens here, we will be making those same difficult decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not due to callousness but rather to limited resources. It’s the sort of dilemma no one who practices medicine ever wants to be forced into but sadly it’ can happen when you have more patients than beds.

Don’t think for a second that we are somehow above this. worst case scenario happens here, we will be making those same difficult decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Medical resources in this country practice triage all the time. It's part of disaster training that they mostly all go through. I've been a "casualty" during a couple of these training exercises at our workplace where first responders come to us and train in our facility so they know what to expect when they arrive. Bringing a stretcher down the external winding stairways of a 13 story structure is not intuitive so they must be trained in how to do so by our internal rescue services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom