Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. I would think that move would be some job security for the IT staff. Did they resign because they didn't want to implement and maintain the technology?

You would think they would recognize this as their time to shine . . . doesn't sound like were much help before all of this hit anyway, but still.

She said she was told they didn't support the school opening back up or something. They didn't agree with everyone coming back into the school buildings.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
You would think they would recognize this as their time to shine . . . doesn't sound like were much help before all of this hit anyway, but still.

She said she was told they didn't support the school opening back up or something. They didn't agree with everyone coming back into the school buildings.
Then good riddance and they cant get unemployment if they walked off. Hope they had other plans for work.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To know if the Covid has any meaningful effect on the population, one must look at the Crude Death Rate. Has the Covid caused an uptick in that? If there was any sort of upward trend, it would be blasted on the airwaves, the hype would be in overdrive, and we'd all likely be placed in isolation camps! As for the Crude Death Rate, I can find no data that shows an increase caused by the Covid - or any other cause.

I can only conclude that the Covid panic is nothing more than a debacle! Sure, some people will meet their demise with or activated by the Covid as will just about anyone with a confounding health risk or condition. These people will likely die of any sort of flu or other debilitating infection. But, I see no increase in the rate of death due to the Covid. As I stated earlier, if there was an increase, that is all you would hear about on the news - especially in this(or any) election period.

Look to whomever will profit from this debacle - either financially or politically. It is obviously a boon to the pharmaceutical industry and is without a doubt a tool being used by politicians to cast blame in the hopes it will topple their political enemies and open the doors to a rise in their power. My advice? Use your common sense, follow the means being employed and see the end being driven toward, and don't become an unsuspecting victim of the hype, the panic, and the deviance of those driving this fallacy.

Woody

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
20200819_215354.jpg

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it, "a mild case" means you were not hospitalized. Here is a first hand account of having COVID.
It hit me in an inspired bit of irony, at the exact moment I filed my column on the NBA restart opening game between the Lakers and Clippers.

After marveling about the return of the intensity of a live sports event, I literally curled up with the chills.

After celebrating how our local teams renewed their rivalry with exhausted passion, I was so fatigued I could barely walk from my office chair to my bed.

It was also the night I began showing symptoms that later resulted in a positive test for COVID-19.

Yeah, I’ve got the ‘Rona. Who’d have guessed? After I spent four months writing about how this nasty incurable coronavirus should shut down the sports world, it laughingly shut me down too. It didn’t care that I respected it. It didn’t matter that I used noted scientists to warn sports fans of its perils.

It was as if my ominous words were lifted from the page and injected directly into my veins. In an instant, my fears for others became prayers for myself.

I picked up COVID-19 at the end of July, tested positive a few days later, suffered through it for about a week, and now am quarantining for the rest of this week while waiting for the danger to pass.

I would occasionally hear acquaintances wonder if [the coronavirus] was truly that awful. I can now offer indisputable confirmation. Yes, it really sucks.

I am lucky. I am blessed. According to the latest numbers, I am one of the around 212,000 confirmed cases in Los Angeles County, but I am not among the around 5,000 deaths, and I had the incredibly good fortune to avoid hospitalization.

I basically lived through a really strange and bad flu. You’ve heard the stories, and mine is actually one of the better ones. Many victims would love to be alive to tell such a relatively benign tale. The depth of their nightmare resonates deeply in me now. This column honors their struggle and commemorates their spirit. May we never forget that behind every coronavirus statistic there is unquantifiable human suffering.

I’m the first person I know who has had the coronavirus. I would occasionally hear acquaintances wonder if it was truly that awful. I can now offer indisputable confirmation. Yes, it really sucks.

My temperature hovered in the upper reaches of 102. It felt like my head was on fire. One night I sweated through five shirts. I shook so much from the chills I thought I chipped a tooth. My chest felt like LeBron James was sitting on it. My fatigue made it feel as if I was dressed in the chains of Jacob Marley’s ghost. I coughed so hard it felt like I broke a rib.

I would fall asleep in a chair and wake up terrified from a hallucinatory dream where I was chased through a playground by old women with giant heads. During phone calls I would get confused and just stop talking. I would begin crying for no reason. I lost my sense of taste, smell, and five pounds in the first four days.

None of this is probably news to anyone who has read about these cases. Everyone knows what happens, even if they never believe it will happen to them.

But still, there are things about this insidious illness that nobody tells you. There are things that surprised me, things that stick with you long after the fever has spiked and the headaches have stopped.

Nobody tells you about the dread. From the moment my doctor phoned me with the test results, to the moment I am writing this column, I have been scared out of my mind.

I know the minuscule overall fatality percentages. I know the overwhelming odds of survival for a 61-year-old male in good health with no preexisting conditions. It doesn’t matter. Once you realize you have a virus that could kill you and there’s nothing anybody can do about it, you live in constant fear.

A couple of weeks ago, I didn’t follow my instincts. I briefly let my guard down. The coronavirus came out swinging.

With every trickle of sweat off your forehead, you worry. With every deep cough, you wonder. You check your temperature 53 times every day, and every single time that thermometer is in your mouth, you close your eyes and pray. You stick your finger in the pulse oximeter every hour, and beg for the number to rise.

Then there are the late nights, when your quarantine feels most acute — when you are the most alone. You start coughing into a wet pillow and you can’t stop and your breath becomes ragged and your bed is soaking and you wonder, is now the time? Do you try to drive yourself to the hospital? Do you call an ambulance? Are you just being a baby? You can’t call any friends or family for help because they can’t be exposed. You can’t call your doctor because he’s already told you there’s nothing he can do. You don’t know what to do, so you simmer alone in the darkness doing nothing, paralyzed by fear and chasing your breath and praying that 102.1 does not become 103.1.

The other emotion nobody tells you about is the anger. You followed all the rules, you wore countless masks, you never strayed far from home, you spent four months battling this thing, and still it hits you with a sucker punch.

In my social circles, I was considered among the least likely person to contract the disease because, basically, I abandoned the circles. For four months I avoided all crowded driveway happy hours and cul-de-sac cocktail parties. I didn’t set foot inside my church even during the brief time it was open. I didn’t set foot inside a grocery store as my youngest daughter Mary Clare, who was quarantined with me for most of the summer, did all the shopping.

I wore a mask everywhere. I followed all the rules, but a couple of weeks ago I didn’t follow my instincts. I briefly let my guard down. The coronavirus came out swinging.

The weekend before my symptoms appeared, for the first time in four months, I met friends for two dinners at two socially distanced patio tables. Nobody is required to wear masks at the tables, so I removed my mask when I sat, as did my dining partners, and we left them off during the entire time we were at the table.

I didn’t do anything that was prohibited, right? I was just following the rules, right?

My guess is that I caught it there.

I’m angry not at the coronavirus, but at myself, because I should have known it doesn’t fight fair, because I was stupid enough to relax around it for even a second, and now my mistake could fester in my system forever....

The novel coronavirus is not a statistic. It’s not an agenda. It’s not a debate. COVID-19 is real enough to rise up and beat me senseless. We need to stop giving it license to do the same to others.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/stor...-covid-19-experience?utm_source=pocket-newtab

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
As I understand it, "a mild case" means you were not hospitalized. Here is a first hand account of having COVID.
https://www.latimes.com/sports/stor...-covid-19-experience?utm_source=pocket-newtab
That guy just wants attention.
I had it and felt fine for the most part, just coughing and a low grade fever that made me feel like I needed to toss the covers back then I'd get cold, etc. That lasted 5 days and the cough hung on for a month. I did have sore stomach muscles from coughing but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom