Oh great researchers of OSA. When was Open Carry first banned in Oklahoma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are people on this forum love to research. Since I am lazy.

Can anyone tell me what date open carry was first banned in Oklahoma?

I am not talking about the new law. I am talking about the old law that prevents people without a license to do so. Get your title 21 pdfs out and tell me.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since at least Pierce Vs. State in 1929, if not before. http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?citeid=38162

"The defendant is prosecuted under section 1992, C.O.S. 1921, which provides as follows: 'It shall be unlawful for any person in the state of Oklahoma to carry upon or about his person any pistol, revolver, bowie-knife, dirk-knife, loaded cane, billy, metal knuckles, except as in this article provided.'"

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting question. While I don't know about OK, most of the carry restrictions in the south were passed during Reconstruction as Jim Crow laws. That's one of the reasons I always chuckle when people like the Reverends get on the anti-gun bus.

As OK was a Territory then, would you have access to Territorial law records? Or we just talking about after Statehood?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was pretty clearly illegal prior to the 70's.....excerpt from Pierce: (arrested and convicted for having a gun in his waistband, in view. Conviction was affirmed)

The defendant is prosecuted under section 1992, C.O.S. 1921, which provides as follows:

"It shall be unlawful for any person in the state of Oklahoma to carry upon or about his person any pistol, revolver, bowie-knife, dirk-knife, loaded cane, billy, metal knuckles, except as in this article provided."

Section 1994, C.O.S. 1921, provides:

"Public officers while in the discharge of their duties or while going from their homes to their place of duty or returning therefrom shall be permitted to carry arms, but at no other time and under no other circumstances: Provided, however, that if any public officer be found carrying such arms while under the influence of intoxicating drinks, he shall be deemed guilty of a violation of this article as though he were a private person."

Section 1995, C.O.S. 1921, provides:

"Persons shall be permitted to carry shot-guns or rifles for the purpose of hunting, having them repaired, or for killing animals, or for the purpose of using the same in public muster or military drills, or while traveling or removing from one place to another and not otherwise."

The defendant does not come within any of the exceptions mentioned in such statutes.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They're wrong.

I see where they are trying to get their date (Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971), but open carry of a firearm has arguably been banned since 1910, and definitely (through caselaw) since 1929.

Thanks for the clarification. Was the OFA of 1971 intended in part to put to rest any question regarding open carry that had lingered prior to then?

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great information guys. I was told the seventies but it looks like that was wrong. 1910 and 1929,

Latest posts

Top Bottom