OIL FIRE Whiskey SMMMOOOOTTTTHHHH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried lots of bourbons...top to bottom shelf. I haven't found anything that's as good overall as Buffalo Trace. Bulleit is my second choice...I like it when I'm feeling a little crankier than usual.

In Idaho the liquor stores are state owned/operated (which has it's pros/cons). They have a monthly lottery for some hard to get liquors and they never sell for more than MSRP. Once a year (just got the email today, as a matter of fact) they have the Pappy Van Winkle lottery. I won several of the monthly drawings that gave me an opportunity to buy some bourbons I probably never would've been able to. Still trying to get selected to buy a bottle of Pappy. It would be worth a trip to Idaho to pick it up.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're drinking what you say you're drinking, I doubt you'll like it.

Oil Fire isn't whiskey or bourbon, it's liqueur. If you like that kinda thing it might be for you. If you're a Bullet & Blanton's drinker I doubt it, but maybe.

I'd be interested in hearing an update after you've tried it.
THIS

I love oil fire for what it is but I first tasted it thinking it was a whiskey and WTFd
I've tried lots of bourbons...top to bottom shelf. I haven't found anything that's as good overall as Buffalo Trace. Bulleit is my second choice...I like it when I'm feeling a little crankier than usual.

In Idaho the liquor stores are state owned/operated (which has it's pros/cons). They have a monthly lottery for some hard to get liquors and they never sell for more than MSRP. Once a year (just got the email today, as a matter of fact) they have the Pappy Van Winkle lottery. I won several of the monthly drawings that gave me an opportunity to buy some bourbons I probably never would've been able to. Still trying to get selected to buy a bottle of Pappy. It would be worth a trip to Idaho to pick it up.
Buffalo Trace is good, I use to get it when Trader Joes was out of Makers or for a change of pace. It is kinda weird it is both revered and expensive in OK, you have to lottery to get it at my local liquor store, in WA it was generally A notch below makers on the shelf.

In a way I miss state stores, It had a certain comforting level of communistic sterility. WA ended their state system and allowed grocery stores to sell liquor. things got more expensive and often less.variety. Also the street drunks changed from beer to liquor and got MEAN. We would stock up at the state store whenever we went to ID.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the liquor store yesterday looking at whiskey. I saw a Texas themed one. Forget the name but it came with a Texas flag style bag kinda like crown royal comes with, the bottle also had pictures of wooden oil derricks on it. I read the fine print… “Product of Canada”

Then there was an Okie one. Came with a bag too. Said “7 years aged in barrel”
The Okie one also said Product of Canada…

So I bought a bottle of TX Whiskey instead since I know that’s actually Texan.
I ran across some of that crap a while back. Bought it. Tasted it. I said "this is just crappy crown, and I dislike crown". Looked at the bottle, sure enough. Was not happy. It lives in the cupboard waiting on someone to come by that likes that stuff, or for those days I run out of scotch.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I’d like to know how to enter that lottery.

I got a case of Buffalo Trace a few weeks back. That’s a $30 bottle of booze, and it’s delicious. Not as tasty as Blanton’s but at least you can find Buffalo Trace occasionally. Finding Blanton’s is like finding a leprechaun. What I don’t understand is why the Buffalo Trace is so damn hard to find. I spent almost $400 on a case of it because they had it, and for whatever reason people treat it like Pappy or Blanton’s, which it ain’t. Be fine with me if it was a little less popular.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got it recommended to me at the store and picked up a bottle, it is definitely NOT a whiskey, more of a whiskey based liquor. But it is damn good and I keep a bottle in the bar now for special occaisionS. Makes a great gift too. Prairie wolf distillery in Guthrie makes some GREAT products. Garden club gin is a treasure. I got my wife their citrus vodka for Christmas.

I got a bottle of Crown Royal from the white elephant at my wife's work Christmas party. I usually drink bourbon straight or on the rocks, but this stuff is absolutely foul. Only good for mixing with coke. I hate Canada so much.
You should try Crown Reserve, nothing like regular Crown. I drink it with a splash of water or on the rocks

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THIS

I love oil fire for what it is but I first tasted it thinking it was a whiskey and WTFd

Buffalo Trace is good, I use to get it when Trader Joes was out of Makers or for a change of pace. It is kinda weird it is both revered and expensive in OK, you have to lottery to get it at my local liquor store, in WA it was generally A notch below makers on the shelf.

In a way I miss state stores, It had a certain comforting level of communistic sterility. WA ended their state system and allowed grocery stores to sell liquor. things got more expensive and often less.variety. Also the street drunks changed from beer to liquor and got MEAN. We would stock up at the state store whenever we went to ID.

I know it’s sacrilege, but I’m not a Maker’s fan. I like Woodford Reserve. The Woodford double oak is pretty good as well.

I need to find something I like as well as the Buffalo Trace & Blanton’s that I can find on the shelf most of the time. Hunting around for a bottle of booze gets on my nerves.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should try Crown Reserve, nothing like regular Crown. I drink it with a splash of water or on the rocks

I used to date a gal that liked Crown. I liked her on it, but I can’t stand the stuff.

I used to hang around with a couple knuckleheads from Canada, and they claimed the CR was made to export to Americans with poor taste, but Canadians never drank the stuff. They drank Wiser. Loved it. I wasn’t a fan of it either. I guess I’m just not a blended Canadian whiskey fan. I like my booze made in Kentucky.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it’s sacrilege, but I’m not a Maker’s fan. I like Woodford Reserve. The Woodford double oak is pretty good as well.

I need to find something I like as well as the Buffalo Trace & Blanton’s that I can find on the shelf most of the time. Hunting around for a bottle of booze gets on my nerves.
Fair enough, one of the biggest issues in the world is that people don't understand that other people may not like the same things as them.

I used to date a gal that liked Crown. I liked her on it, but I can’t stand the stuff.

I used to hang around with a couple knuckleheads from Canada, and they claimed the CR was made to export to Americans with poor taste, but Canadians never drank the stuff. They drank Wiser. Loved it. I wasn’t a fan of it either. I guess I’m just not a blended Canadian whiskey fan. I like my booze made in Kentucky.
Canadians always act like they are superior when the fact is nothing good has ever came out of Canada.

Latest posts

Top Bottom