Oilfield and snubbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm more or less looking for stories and opinions. I'm transitioning into the field and hear it's only for crazy people and really dangerous. Then I hear it's easy and there is nothing to it. Kinda hoping for something in the middle!

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was on a snubbing rig and even ran the snubbing unit for a little while about 10 years ago in CA. They used to pay hazard pay for it, but the company I worked for didnt any more at that time.

I loved it. But I always liked that kind of thing. If you plan on continuing a career in the oilfields, snubbing is very good experience to have. My 6 months on a snubbing rig helped get me a spot on an offshore drilling platform when alot of the guys on land were being laid off. They hired me with half as much experience on rigs than they usually required for offshore work.

As far as danger? Alot of that has changed, at least in CA, especially working for bigger companies. Ive seen the pictures of thousands of feet of tubing layed out all over the ground like pixie sticks, but tbh we only came close once to losing a string out of the hole. You usually have plenty of warning before a snubbing unit operator loses control of a string to get off the rig floor.

If you have any more questions just ask.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's like most other jobs, just as safe as you make it. That being said, it's not a risk free business. I've been in the 'patch for 39 years. The only injury I sustained is a broken nose. There are times when it's ez money and times when you are expected to work your a$$ off. It is a "Time is money" business and if you go out expecting to lay on your tail for money, you will be sorely disappointed. If you work hard and pay attention, you will be well compensated and move up in the food chain. It's a good opportunity for people who aren't able to or maybe not interested in becoming doctor, lawyer or internet entrepreneur.

blackloud13

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
jus kickin' it with the kin down on Sasquatch Ln.
For you oilfield guys, what do you know about snubbing?
*** What exactly are you wanting to know about <<< snubbin' >>> ?!? ***
I know the basics but info is hard to find.
*** if you know the basics then you are already on your way ...
*** only Always remember !! - you cant fix stupid & STUPID HURTS !!!
You will work with some very well lets say "interesting" people on a snubbing unit.
*** hmmm ... " interesting " might well be a colossal understatement regarding some snubbin' hands ...
*** what kind of unit ? truck mount-trailer mount-stand alone ?

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Snubbing is not bad. I use to do it on off days when I was with the Flyin H. Worst part is rigging up. You get to know your hammerr and hammer wrench very well. Its not that hard, and you get daylight hours. I did lose a couple of friends on a snubbing unit. Just don't fall into the whole "F.F.S.P." thing. I have seen a hundred of those guys come and go. You will find out what F.F.S.P. is real quick. lol

internetscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I currently work in our company's production shop so luckily I know the equipment inside and out. I hear some snubbing hands can be of questionable character. I plan to work hard and move up quickly. That way stupidity on my crew will be a bit more controllable. Hopefully, it's the next step toward well control.

Latest posts

Top Bottom