OK Law on home made guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've been searching quite a bit on this topic. I want to make a pistol in my workshop. From what I've read that's perfectly legit with the BATF.

Can anybody here tell me if this is in violation of Oklahoma law? Or if there are any requirements like registration etc?

I don't really wanna call the OSBI and potentially kick over hornet's nest. :uhh:

Thanks.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is one form of "manufacturing" that does not require any kind of license:

7.An individual acquires frames or receivers and assembles firearms for his personal use, not for sale or distribution.

The individual is not manufacturing firearms for sale or distribution and is not required to be a licensed manufacturer.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

Anything other than that, such as selling them, I strongly suggest you consult a lawyer on the necessity of Fed manufacturer's license and OK business zoning and tax laws. IANAL.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just make sure you stamp a serial number on it. Most people start it with "exp" for experimental followed by the date.
Like if you built it today it would be ser#exp050811
It also needs to be stamped or engraved with your name and city and state.
Possesion of a cartridge firing handgun manufactured after 1934 without a serial number is a federal crime.
You can also call the BATF when you have completed the frame and they will issue you a serial number.

no license to manufacture is required.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr ed, you are off buy over 3 decades. It was in the 1968 Federal Gun Control Act when it became law. You probably are thinking of full auto registration that was back in the 30s.

If you make a gun for personal use, it does NOT have to have a serial number. If you plan on selling it It has to have a serial number, manufactuer, and you have to pay a manufacturing tax. If you do a little leg work you will be able to verify this. Ive read many of the ATF letters on my other forum Gunco.net. About everything under the sun has been built and brought up there.

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/BATFE-AMD-65-Manufacture-Marking-2004-11-09.pdf

I just added this link. It is from the ATF. Not from gunco.com though. Go to the second page, second parogrph. States it clearly though the print is a little fuzzy

Last edited:

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as you are building it for yourself you can do it but there are a few restrictions, such as a rifle must have a barrel over 16 inches, a shotgun must have a barrel over 18 inches and it can only fire one round per trigger pull.
If you decide you want to sell it after you build it, contact me I am a class 7 manufacturer and can make it legal for sale or show you how to do it yourself.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks, thank you. I've read most of the rules per the BATF. I might want to build a De Haas action Chicopee rifle someday too. Honeybee... thank you. I really have no intention of building anything for sale. At least for now.

Any of you have a 4-1/2" or 5" length of barrel liner for .22LR??

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought it would be neat to make experimental stuff.
I have some Sten MkII blueprints and as soon as I figure out how to make it closed bolt I think it would be cool to make one. They say the Mk III took five man-hours to make per weapon.

Then there was that Witness PCR, I thought it would be neat to make something like that too.

Island_built7

New to the site!
Reaction score
Folks, thank you. I've read most of the rules per the BATF. I might want to build a De Haas action Chicopee rifle someday too. Honeybee... thank you. I really have no intention of building anything for sale. At least for now.

Any of you have a 4-1/2" or 5" length of barrel liner for .22LR??
Just make sure it's rifled. I know you can buy .22 barrel liner.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You must also keep the homemade firearm in your residence.
In other words you can't take it hunting. That is my understanding.
I built a 45 that will shoot 45 colt and 410 it is a single shot smooth bore pistol.
I have not shot it yet.
I built a 12 gauge pistol.. wrong move for sure.
I held it to the side and shot it.. Way too much recoil.. Jerked my arm back faster than I can see with my eyes .. then it twisted out of my hand and fell on the dirt floor.

WOW! I did hit exactly where I was aiming.
That is the reason for the smaller weapon. It probably needs refined some before I pull the trigger.
Kind of fun to tinker with stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom